Do I need to use RealTek Soundback with my Logitech G933 headset?

Symthic

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
My Logitech G933 headset is capable of playing 7.1 surround sound, but in looking at some of the games I'd like to use it with (Half-Life 2, Fallout: New Vegas, etc.), it appears that they require the use of RealTek Soundback in order to restore their 7.0/7.1 surround sound capabilities. So I went ahead and downloaded the program and enabled various games.

However, in looking for more info about the enigmatic buffer settings, I found a Steam post of someone coming to the conclusion that the program only works on sound cards that have hardware support for EAX 4.0 and older, otherwise it does a bad software emulation, which I do not want.

Well, my PC was built in 2014, and I have no idea what sound card I have. In Device Manager, there's only "NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)," "NVIDIA High Definition Audio," "Realtek High Definition Audio," and "Logitech G933 Gaming Headset."

So now I'm utterly confused. I don't know if my system supports EAX 4.0 or older (not that I know what it is anyways), nor do I know if Soundback and its changes would even matter if I'm using my Logitech G933, which is separate from the NVIDIA and RealTek listings and uses its own USB soundcard/transmitter.

What should I do?

Thanks.

Solution
your headset is USB, it doesn't use the Realtek or NVidia sound chip, it has its own completely independent. the Realtek software only controls the Realtek chipset so doesn't control your headset

MattO1973

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016
your headset is USB, it doesn't use the Realtek or NVidia sound chip, it has its own completely independent. the Realtek software only controls the Realtek chipset so doesn't control your headset

Solution

Symthic

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

So will games run in 7.1 surround sound automatically? Do I need to use RealTek Soundback to enable 7.1 on certain games?

MattO1973

Commendable
Apr 2, 2016

The headset claims to be 7.1 so if the game is 7.1 it should do it automaticly or through the headsets settings, reatek software doesn't affect it at all