Do laptops have both a gpu and integrated graphics normally?

Zanvolt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
My friends laptop seems to have a dead gpu, but still functions well enough outside of games, does this means it switched to integrated graphics when the gpu died?

Solution
Many have two graphics processors, yes.

The default one (Intel HD) is part of the CPU package (APU), and is automatically used by Windows and any app/game which hasn't been configured to use the more powerful AMD/Nvidia GPU. These laptops are able switch from one GPU to the other automatically.

Since the Intel GPU is the default for Windows and apps, that's why your friends laptop still works even though the high-performance GPU is (or seems to be) dead.
Many have two graphics processors, yes.

The default one (Intel HD) is part of the CPU package (APU), and is automatically used by Windows and any app/game which hasn't been configured to use the more powerful AMD/Nvidia GPU. These laptops are able switch from one GPU to the other automatically.

Since the Intel GPU is the default for Windows and apps, that's why your friends laptop still works even though the high-performance GPU is (or seems to be) dead.

Solution

Zanvolt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks thats pretty much what i wanted to know, though do you think you could point me in the direction of some info on how to configure an app to use the other gpu if it's not already?