Do not know out of two adapters which display the system is using

Abdul Haq Shaikh

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
I have a Samsung laptop model NP300 V5A. The Device Manager shows two display adapters namely Intel hd 3000 and NVidea GT 520 mx. I do not know which adapter the system is currently using. I would like to use NVIDEA GT 520 MX because it has 1 gb dedicated ram. Kindly help me to solve this problem.

Solution
"The Intel hd 3000 is on the processor and is usually disabled in the software when the Nvidia gpu is installed."

This is a laptop that the OP is referring to, so it doesn't work like that. The Intel GPU must not be disabled as it's required by Windows itself. Dual-GPU laptops switch automatically from one to the other depending on which apps & games are configured to use the high-performance GPU.

In Nvidia Control Panel, you need to configure which installed apps & games you want to use the Nvidia GPU with.

All the other apps will use the Intel GPU because it uses less power so the battery will last longer between charges.

Groveling_Wyrm

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2002
It should have been set up for you to use the Nvidia GT 520 on your ports, when the Operating System was installed. That is the most powerful of the two video cards.

The Intel hd 3000 is on the processor and is usually disabled in the software when the Nvidia gpu is installed.

Another way to check is right click on your desktop. You should have an option for "Nvidia Control Panel" listed when you right click, for the Nvidia Graphics.

"The Intel hd 3000 is on the processor and is usually disabled in the software when the Nvidia gpu is installed."

This is a laptop that the OP is referring to, so it doesn't work like that. The Intel GPU must not be disabled as it's required by Windows itself. Dual-GPU laptops switch automatically from one to the other depending on which apps & games are configured to use the high-performance GPU.

In Nvidia Control Panel, you need to configure which installed apps & games you want to use the Nvidia GPU with.

All the other apps will use the Intel GPU because it uses less power so the battery will last longer between charges.

Solution

RobCrezz

Honorable
Herald
Mar 14, 2013
As Phillip says, you can set in the nvidia control panel to use the nvidia gpu when running a program. In normal windows use it should use the intel GPU to save power.