Do redgestery cleaners do anything

yamsandjams

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
I have used regestry mechanic alot in the past and have not yet installed one on a new version of windows 7. Do regestery cleaners realy work and is it nessesary to install one to keep your P.C. HEALTHY OR IS IT A MASS SCAM?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009

Well, it can go either way. Registry cleaners will, on average (based on experience), have anywhere from 75-500 entries that are eligible for removing. Computers these days can have 1million+ entries within the Registry, so a few hundred, even a few thousand, isn't going to give you the increase in seek time as you'd anticipate with running a cleaner of some kind.

Now, if one of those Registry values turn out to be "important" and actually needs to be cleaned/repaired, then yes, absolutely the Registry cleaner is beneficial. All in all, if you already have a software and the scan only takes 5-10 minutes, running it once every few months wouldn't hurt.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
They let you reinstall trial software that's had the trial time expire...

Other than that not much benefit. I personally use them anyway. It offends my OCD that programs leave their thumbprint on my computer. If I removed it, I want it removed.