Do you think I should install 64 bit on my laptop?

Whib96

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Just bought a HP Pavilion DM1Z used, and it has windows 7 pro 32 bit installed. I have the key, so I could reinstall it with 64 bit. However, I currently only have 4 gb of ram installed on the laptop, and I don't plan to upgrade it for a while. I know this question has been asked a million times, but I've found that most people are saying it will depend on the system, so give me your advice please. I MAY upgrade the ram in the future; I just don't know. I'm just tempted to use as much of the ram as I can because I've been told that the HDD having to spin up is one of the most battery consuming processes, and the more ram you can use, the less that has to happen.

-Light gaming may be done on this computer. We're talking Half-Life Source, maybe Counter Strike.

-Realistically, this computer will mostly be used for everyday tasks of a high-school and soon to be college student. Writing, web browsing, YouTube videos, movies, etc.

-The HDD is only a 160gb, and a bunch of that already gets taken up by W7 Pro 32 bit.

Let me know guys!

kanewolf

Judicious
If you have a 64bit key, and don't mind wiping the disk, then a re-install isn't a bad thing. You can clean up any bloatware that might be left over from the HP install. You need to verify that there are drivers available for your specific model laptop BEFORE you start the process.
Current programs have no problems running with a 64bit OS.

Whib96

Distinguished
May 30, 2011

Wow, quick responses. Thanks! Something I forgot to mention in the OP is that I've heard that a 64 bit OS has to run most programs in a 32 bit emulator, and thus it is usually noticeably slower unless you have like a super PC with 12 gb of ram,. Any idea how true this is or know anything about it?

And yes, I have a key, and the keys work for both 32bit and 64bit. I'd just have to deactivate this one is all so I could use the key again.

huilun02

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
No you don't need a super PC with 12GB of RAM to run 32-bit applications in a 64-bit OS.

It will just run 32-bit applications natively.

I got 16GB of RAM for my PC and its kind of a waste because I've never used more than half of it...

Whib96

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
Based on my research, I'm just gonna stick with 32 bit unless I ever decide to buy a 4gb ram stick, which would then get me to 6 gb. Most sources are saying that unless you just want to run 64 bit applications or need more than 4gb of ram, you aren't really gaining anything. in fact, you're losing, since 64 bit DOES have to run 32 bit applications in an emulator which is a bit slower than just natively running them on 32 bit. Plus, 64 bit requires more ram and HDD space anyways. I can always install 64 bit in the future, so no big deal anyways I guess. It just doesn't seem like I'm going to be gaining anything by possibly getting that extra .5 gb of ram with 64 bit.

USAFRet

Illustrious

On a 5 year old Toshiba laptop, with 2GB RAM, I have not seen a performance hit with 64bit vs 32bit. For any application.
In either Win 7, Win8, or Win 10.