Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuerosynapse

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
I use KIS as it was basically free on NEWEGG with a mail in rebate that was a check, not one of those damn amex cards. I needed a firewall as well because my laptop will not run windows 7 version. I pair KIS with do not track plus with the occasional free online ESET scan. Have not had any issues in since I started running KIS. Used to get the occasional virus ad screen which was always a pain to remove.

jadinolf

Honorable
Mar 10, 2014

Give it a try. See if you like it.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I think most all security software offers a free one month trial. You can go to kaspersky.com and download any version of their programs from the basic anti-virus to any of their suites and use it for a month to check it out.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
You can get the whole Comodo security suite, firewall and all for free. The only difference with the paid for version is the support. No support with the free version. So if you have problems, you are on you own.

https://www.comodo.com/

Download the Comodo Internet Security.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
I have a neighbor that about every month, 2 or 3, she asks me to fix her laptop. She only uses Windows security essentials with Vista. Am gonna see if I can get her to switch to the free Comodo suite.

Thaisnang

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
I use Bitdefender total security 2015. Bought One year license wanted to try it out since so many sites named it as the best Antivirus, used Norton before that (got a 2 months free trial). The features of Bitdefender are great but the one thing I didn't like much is the UI,not much informative especially when updating and confusing at times. And a full system scan takes 3 hours, while Norton only took around 1 and half hour.

scooter69

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

WOW, take some PMS pills and chime back in tomorrow. ..
If you're not using some form of anti virus, then you're just asking for a virus or malware. Speed isn't an issue at 2 am when you're asleep. My computer is seven (7) years old and malwarebytes never slows it down. Even the most "safe" websites can give you malware. An example would be downloading and installing anything from CNET downloads. If you don't do a custom install, you get all kinds of unwanted toolbars and crapware.

HyNrgy

Estimable
Mar 15, 2014
i disagree about CNET for some users. I download and test from there every so often and have not had an issue. With that said though I always select custom because they (CNET) are semi-nice about the fact their downloader will install other stuff and you can opt-out of all of them (just takes about 30 seconds extra) and most software will give you the option to do a custom and allow to deselect extras.

I have not had an issue with anything extra being installed using that method for years now but again I do not let it do full installs.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Bashing software, and being highly sceptical of a software's effectiveness, are two different things. Since you're basing your software's security on personal use for multiple years, and it has "blocked many serious threats," that tells me nothing. I understand that you have no infections currently blocked, but with the way you have worded your previous posts, it seems like you should be coming up with an infection fairly often... I'd say within a week or two, based on how your previous posts were worded. Also, based on how you've worded your posts, I can't seem to think that Kaspersky is truly blocking such malicious stuff so often; it just doesn't make sense. I go to a LOT of websites that are known hosts for malware, and not once has any quality security software given red flags, or ever turned up a positive result for something malicious. Your experiences do not add up to my experiences... hence my heavy scepticism. I tried to make that clear.

I think I posted that article early on in this thread, or maybe another one. I would definitely encourage people to use it as a guideline, though not to take it as an official ranking... PC Mag isn't very clear about how they run their testing. Also, they have been paid by companies to give "less negative" reviews at times. I'd definitely double check their results with other independent testers (AV-Comparatives and AV Test, for example), before taking what they say as truth.

Comodo doesn't have the best AV security, but their firewall is definitely top notch. For those who don't need the best AV software in the world, Comodo is definitely something to consider. It is a fairly heavy software, though, and it will slow down performance on older computers; so keep it in mind.

Not running an AV software is only "asking" for an infection if the user is uneducated about proper browsing and security habits. I hear all the time something along the lines of "safe websites can get your computer infected" pretty often, but I have not seen a real case of this to be proven without the end-user lacking the use of proper browsing habits. I also talked about this earlier, so I won't reiterate it too much; however, infected websites are extremely rare, and infections are relatively easy to block by using the right browser/extensions. If you do get infected, it's going to be a really rare occurrence, and you will probably hear something about a certain website being infected at some point via the news. It can happen, but it's extremely unlikely, and the risk/reward ratio is not favourable for the guys who write the code.

Same here. I rarely even download software updates from the little pop-up windows that my installed programs give me. Unless I'm in a pinch for time, I will always download my software updates straight off the servers from the company who made my software. If I need any plugins updated in my browser, I go straight to the source. If my games need updates, I go to the official website (if possible to download updates that way). People should not take chances, if they have the few minutes to do things right. While it's out of the way, and can get annoying, it actually can prevent you from installing malicious software without knowing it. I have avoided installing malware this way (primarily with those warnings you see in Chrome), and I have actually worked on computers that have some pretty convincing fake "update" notifications that pester you; it's pretty impressive what lengths some programmers are willing to go to.

G

I have downloaded a lot of software from cnet and have not had any extras slip in. I will say that if you don't pay close attention they will sure slip in some extra crapware. yeah if I get a choice I will always choose the custom download.
poorguy

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Skylyne:
**Bashing software, and being highly sceptical of a software's effectiveness, are two different things. Since you're basing your software's security on personal use for multiple years, and it has "blocked many serious threats," that tells me nothing. I understand that you have no infections currently blocked, but with the way you have worded your previous posts, it seems like you should be coming up with an infection fairly often... I'd say within a week or two, based on how your previous posts were worded. Also, based on how you've worded your posts, I can't seem to think that Kaspersky is truly blocking such malicious stuff so often; it just doesn't make sense. I go to a LOT of websites that are known hosts for malware, and not once has any quality security software given red flags, or ever turned up a positive result for something malicious. Your experiences do not add up to my experiences... hence my heavy scepticism. I tried to make that clear.**

Here I go again: ""Have used KIS for many years now. That's why I can say with experience that KIS has blocked many serious threats.""

G

i go to alot of p2p and torrent sites and download a lot of good software that is supposed to be malware free. ok it does have tracking cookies but that is not really malware. i believe tracking cookies are needed to keep the link going between my connection and the website that i am connected to. i may be wrong about that. most of my malware is found after i open software that i had downloaded and my antivirus/antimalware never detected a thing. it only found it when a scan was run later. it seems that some malware can only be detected after software is opened and run. that is what i have found. it seems to find its way into your system through any software download. games and music seems to be the worst also coupon sites.
poorguy

Status
Not open for further replies.