Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

yes I agree p2p and torrent sites can be bad if one is not careful about what they download. so far my free antivirus/antimalware has kept me safe and has not let anything bad infect my system. lots of good software on those sites but yes you must be super careful and be willing to take some risk. I do a lot of research before I download from those sites.
poorguy

Joeteoh99

Estimable
Herald
Jul 20, 2014

What are the free ones you use?

G

avg antivirus free 2015 / ad-aware 11 antivirus free 2015 / malwarebytes free / superantispyware free. no problems or complaints with any of these. use them on different computers around the house and the workshop. have tried lots of different free ones and these work the best for me.
poorguy

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Here's an interesting read at Tom's.

Malware-Infested Ads Found on Major Websites
August 28, 2014

Malicious advertisements have been discovered infecting the Web browsers of people who visited certain major websites between Aug. 19 and Aug. 22. Users did not have to click on the ads to be infected.

The "malvertising" was found on Java.com, DeviantArt, TMZ, Photobucket, IBTimes, eBay.ie, Kapaza.be and TVgids.nl, and eventually detected by Dutch Internet-security company Fox-IT. The websites themselves were not hacked; rather, the malicious ads had been spread through the online advertising network AppNexus. (AppNexus quickly removed the ads, which had abused an automated-bidding placement process.)

the rest of the article here:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/malware-infested-ads,news-19408.html

G

hell look at all of the money that google spends driving around hacking into peoples wifi for info for them to inject advertising where you web browse. I see there little cars in my state in ok all over. they have been fined I don't know how much or how many times. you got to wonder.
poorguy

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

This is what I would call a faulty syllogism; but, more importantly, this is a massive misconception that needs to die... if you do your research, and you download from trusted sources/websites, you will not have any problems. Also, the most trusted websites will have dedicated members who actively search the hosted torrents for bad files (malware/viruses/etc.), and then report them for immediate removal. If you read the comments of a torrent, and there is a claim of it being "infected," with no response negating that statement, then steer clear... otherwise, ask for a VirusTotal report, and wait on downloading until you see some convincing evidence.

As a torrenter who's been at it for nearly a decade, I've downloaded a large amount of shady torrents. Want to know how many of them had genuine infections? Zero. Why? I was smart about what I chose to download, and scanned things I wasn't sure about before installing them. I also avoided infections that came from just browsing their websites by simply using the proper tools to block ads/scripts from running, thereby circumventing vulnerabilities before they could be exploited. Proper browsing methods will always keep you protected from common website viruses that use basic scripts/ads.

Depending on what your AV is catching, it may be a false alarm. If you are using cracked software, it may be throwing a red flag because of how it bypasses the DRM. If it throws a red flag while playing a video/music file, then that would be much more straight forward. If you look at AV-Comparative's latest False Alarm report, you will see it state, "Even “not significant” [False Positives] (or FPs on old applications) deserve mention and attention because FPs are likely to be a result of principled rule detections. It just happened that the FP was on an insignificant file. The FP possibility is probably still in the product and could cause an FP again on a more significant file. Thus, they still deserve mention and still deserve to be penalised." With that said, the report does list 9 FPs from AVG, and practically all of them raised my eyebrows when reading it. Depending on their rule set, your "malware" could simply be false positives. Have you thoroughly checked out the infected files that were flagged? Did your software run after you removed the infected files? Was the infected file a software crack, or was it an extra file that was installed with no relation to the actual software?

If you want to send me links to the torrents, I'd be happy to take a look at what they have, and see if I can find the same things you have had flagged on your system. Also, I'm curious what kind of "research" you are doing, what websites you download from, etc.. You can always PM me, if you'd prefer, too.

Yes, and no. If you block the ad/malicious script from ever running, then you can block the infection. If the infection is based on something that isn't blockable in the browser (which I'm currently unaware of), then you'd be correct; however, I'm not aware of any malicious infections that are actually using any 'back doors', so to speak, to deliver the payload. If you know of some, I'd definitely like to see what's written up, and if there's been a riot in the hacker community over it. I miss some of this stuff kind of often!

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I simply use malwarebytes paid version and I disable MSE. MSE is by far slower and never picks up diddly for me. I have tried other renowned stuff like Norton, Kaspersky and Bitdefender with an incident I had a few months ago from trying to download my favorite file unzipper only to have accidently clicked the wrong link and gotten a little malware. The only tool that would pick it up and remove it was malwarebytes so $25 comes a long way considering it actually works.

As for internet security common sense. Like I jump on a site and malwarebytes goes nuts trying to warn me then I quite literally just have malwarebytes redirect me to a safe site I am familiar with and I accep the fact that that particular is bad for the health of my PC. Plus nothing is full proof anyhow. I simply just read and stay alert on new sites I might visit.

I believe there is a website that can tell you if another website is faulty or not as well, I believe it is Virus Total (virustotal.com) the securty instructor at my school shared this with us and I think its pretty awesome. So you can either submit the URL or the file to Virus Total and it will confirm its result with you. Hope this little tool helps you guys out! Virus Total is a great spot for a second opinion after having scanned it with your AV or if you are not sure about the website you want to visit. Now that I learned about it though I almost never visit a new website today without having it checked out.
:bounce:

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Interesting talk here. Mr Jacoby, said that some malware does not activate until a banking/financial web site is visited. Logging in does not work the first time but the next time it works because the malware hijacked the first attempt.

Here's why South Africa has a high rate of malware infestation
12 June, 01:56 PM

David Jacoby from the Kaspersky Lab tells us why South Africa has one of the highest rates worldwide when it comes to malware infestations.

http://www.news24.com/Live/Sci-Tech/News/Heres-why-South-Africa-has-a-high-rate-of-malware-infestation-20140612

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
I like some of the info, but he makes very generalised statements that can actually be harmful to the end-user.

"it doesn't matter which product you have, as long as it's a security software." I call bullshit for MANY reasons. Read the reports written by AVC, or a number of my previous posts; it does matter what software you use.

axgaming

Estimable
Nov 1, 2014
eset nod32 ever used (I thought very good) but nowadays I do not use antivirus because I know what I do to not have problems with this kind of thing as windows use 8.1 without antivirus started to have boot for 5sec without ssd, I see more need to have something when taking any precalção

ziggy69

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014
I use the built in windows 8 (security essentials) which has always worked for me, even in my windows 7 days, I also use malwarebytes which IMO is the best detector of virus/malware ect that's on the market to date

Tcinator

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
I don't think I have seen anyone mention Webroot... It is by far one of the lightest and most secure and vigilant. It is paid, but 79$ for 5 devices, web based definitions, remote administration, and the best active monitoring I have run into. I worked on the consumer side of end device repair for years. panda, Norton, kas, spyware doctor, malb. but as USAFret said. The best protection against doing yourself harm is your own knowledge.

EDIT: oh and when the install breaks like ever freaking AV does, it doesn't eat windows alive. which is nice. nod32, kas, older Norton, avg, avast.. man when they break, they murder windows. (for the average user who cant repair it)

The Kasafist

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013

Interesting Webroot huh I may check it out thx! I like to try (new to me) new things!

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

All he was basically saying is that it is protection. To get something. Something is better than nothing at all. He could have pushed Kaspersky, but he didn't.

dmcdivitt

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Three years ago or so I went to a site having malicious javascript. It used a buffer overrun to create an exe. Windows Defender saw it. That was when defender was separate from security essentials and watched internet stuff, only. After downloading the javascript I tested with several antivirus packages to see which worked, even Kapersky. None saw it. Now I use MSE only.

Status
Not open for further replies.