Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

yeah i know that there are better choices then ad-aware but at the time that i downloaded, it was the only antivirus that would support windows server 2003. since then i have found that clamwin will support windows server 2003. common sense and smart web habits i'm good.
poorguy

G

yeah i have used alot of these different free antivirus and like most of them. they do give basic protection and that is really all that most of them clam to do. i guess that paid antivirus would give other perks for different types of protection needed for banking and credit card shopping. after this thread i may just buy a paid antivirus for my main banking and business computer. damn sure have heard some good points worth taking into account that make pretty good sense. good post you started SR-71 Blackbird. just some thoughts.
poorguy

G

yeah i will keep checking and have seen some good deals on newwegg from time to time. i do like bit defender free. will keep checking here and there.
poorguy

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

I do the same thing with Kaspersky Internet Security.

G

my real problem is going to be choosing between the many different choices or just buy several different ones since i have six desktops always running. i guess i could get one for multiple computers. only use one of them for banking and credit card stuff. oh well i will just wait and see what deals i can run across. or maybe become a beta tester and get paid antivirus that way. i have heard of people doing that.
poorguy

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

If I were to make a recommendation, it would be Bitdefender. That's probably the only one I have come across with a high reputation, has recent reviews that are very positive (from neutral sources), and that I have tested to some extent. They offer a pretty decent package deal, and aren't really too expensive, in comparison to many of the other quality paid software.

According to Virus Bulletin, Quick Heal has a low detection rate, for both proactive and reactive detection (behind MSE, actually). Have you had any real problems with it, or have you bothered to check your computer with another AV software? I'm curious how it's working for you.

Virus BTN link- https://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
Still would like to hear if an end-user has had any problems.

I've known some people who have bad luck with great software, and some people who have great luck with software that should be ashamed to call itself software... just depends on the person, at times. Also curious to see if qqamresh has gotten a second opinion... seems like that isn't a very common thing for people to do. To each their own, but still lol. I like having multiple opinions.

G

yep Skylyne i use bitdefender free and do like it. they would be one of my choices along with eset nod32 i know people that use that one and like it.the only paid that i ever had was norton antivirus but that was when i used windows 98se back in the old days. it was ok but i didn't know much then not that i know much more now.
poorguy

Gn0m3

Estimable
Nov 19, 2014
Hi,
Personally I've tested a bunch of Paid and Free AV and I chose KIS (Kaspersky Internet Security). This is paid software.
I do a lot of testing on VMs, of this kind of software for home users and companies and this one is the one that gave me the best results, and doesn’t' affect performance as others.

Regards

rohver

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I use Avast free + Malwarebytes. But in reality, the best anti virus out there is within ourselves.....common sense. Over all these years, I have not been infected with a virus. I've used Windows Defender, AVG free, Avast, etc. over the years just in case something slips by.

malshan

Estimable
Oct 23, 2014
I use Fedora 20 with selinux at enforced, and no unnecessary services allowed. Well, the chance of viruses infecting the system is very low, and hacking the system is very hard as well.

Bobg56

Estimable
Nov 21, 2014

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

I wouldn't say it is a winner, especially when you look at AV-Comparatives's reports. Avast definitely has some issues in areas that just aren't present in other free wares, even in ones with lesser protection. Avast, as of the last AVC reports I saw (published early/mid this year), did not make me feel comfortable. High numbers of false alarms, and a decent amount of resource consumption, take it down quite a few notches in my book.

I've not seen too many serious security professionals highly recommend Avast, so I would be reluctant to call it anything close to a "winner." If anyone wants me to scrounge up the old post that I made, comparing Avast to a couple other security wares, then I will; it shows exactly why i wouldn't recommend it, based on publicly published reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.