Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
As much as I don't like Kaspersky (more for personal reasons than not), I don't think the issue will continue for too much longer. They'll likely be on top of that bug in a matter or a month, if that. But, that also depends on what lines of code are causing that problem. They're such a big company, something like that will likely get immediate attention. If you haven't written them, then they won't know how many customer it is affecting. I'd suggest writing an email, just to make sure they can keep an eye on how many people are having that problem ;)

AlexisLSM

Estimable
Jul 26, 2015
No I don't use anti virus for my computer just the Windows one. Just be careful of the websites you visit to avoid such virus that can harm you computer. I use Malwarebytes for malware though.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

Seems like anything today is better than windows defender....However I do like the fact that it is a light antivirus (though we already have BD free for that one) and becomes a decent one with malwarebytes premium....but far from what I would call a good av to fully protect your computer and if you want a lightweight AV that performs better than mse or WD...Then BD free is usually the way to go

Also...Can viruses get in your computer because of the things you download from that site that contains that virus?

But hey thats my recommendation..Not forcing you to change if you don't want to

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

I honestly don't understand how some people can call MSE an "antivirus"... the protection it offers is insanely laughable, at BEST. They really just need to release patches that will remove it from all Windows products, so they can free up needed resources, and encourage people to take their AV software seriously. If Windows didn't have that pre-bundled since Vista, people would probably take their computer security more seriously. Not necessarily the way they should, but still... better than thinking MSE is actually worth clicking on.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

True...The reason that I said that mse could be decent with mbam is due to my lack of knowing how good or worst their products were over years that had come....But yeah MSE has below average detection than other free av's listed or recommended by many people..Also for those people out there who are less tech savvy...Windows defender is pretty much MSE...Get that straight in your heads ppl :p

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

After I installed AVG Ultimate on a business network, it allowed all computers to be seen and what problems they might have also. A tool so that one can check all computers from one computer.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

I upgraded to KIS 2016 and it had several problems. Many users in their support forums having the same problems. So, I just switched back to the latest 2015 version. Gonna wait a while till I try the 2016 version again. Till a newer version of 2016 comes out. Kaspersky upgrades the software several times a year it seems. I keep an eye out and upgrade when the new versions come out. Not the first time a new yearly version has had problems.

Joseph DeGarmo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
I tried Bitdefender Total Security free trial and it was treating ASUS AI Suite 3 as an anti-virus program. It forced me to uninstall it before installation. I installed BD and tried reinstalling ASUS AI Suite 3, but problems arose, so I uninstalled the BD trial and reinstalled BD free. This is unacceptable.

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

It's all good, mate. I was just saying lol. And yeah, MSe is the same thing as Window's Defender, just a different package; when you break it all down, of course. There's an old Vista spoof video that talked about Window's Defender, and they called it "DCS" (aka Doesn't Catch Shit). It still applies to this day, and always makes me shake my head at their latest "efforts" lmao

Well, at least there's been enough attention brought to the issue. Like I said, while I'm not a huge Kasp lover, they'll be on top of things. They tend to pay a lot of attention to problems, which definitely makes them a viable option for just about any level of user. Unfortunately, given their history of compatibility, I think they would benefit from holding their latest releases a while longer, and releasing the newest versions when they have ALL the bugs fixed. Naturally, that's a very difficult thing to do; however, there are a number of companies who do such things, and the initial release typically goes over better than if they released on time. Look at Rockstar Games, as an example.

Joseph, I think there are a couple issues involved there. Given that it's a monitoring software, BD may have recognised it as an AV due to the way it obtains the information. Filter drivers are how the majority of AV software works, which I'm willing to bet the AI suite works on a similar principle. That may have been the issue. I'd have reported the issue to BD, and seen if there was a patch, or update, they could release for that. That's my personal take on it, but I think it's a relatively easy fix.

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

zthomas

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
no solutions.. this is a long as tread almost never ending. I am still a subscriber of Norton, I got some flak from Norton when windows 10 was about to happen, and then was assured over and over again that Norton would be upgraded to handle ten. I have know complaints all runs so smooth, rarely bothered, things sometimes gets squirrely when flash or nvidia wants to do and upload a driver. Fire fox is having lots of trouble with flash crashes all the time.. anybody have a solution?

I am still using Norton. I mean subscribing .. NO issues

Joseph DeGarmo

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
After fighting with Bitdefender Total Security free trial and having issues with it not cooperating with Adguard and ASUS AI Suite 3, I decided to try again to run Kaspersky on Windows 10 after the last run with Bitdefender free edition. Last time I installed it along with a fresh install of Windows 10, Cortana searches were not working and that issue was fixed by removing Kaspersky. Now when I reinstalled it, Cortana searches are still working. I think that the issue was having the AV installed before installing Adguard. Now I installed the AV with Adguard pre-installed and the previous issue seems to have been resolved. Now I am happy that I got my good old Kaspersky Total Security back!:)

Alpha3031

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
I'm adding HitmanPro to my list of security software, partially because it's talked about so much here :)

I'm also removing my dashcoin wallet, because it triggers to many false positives.

Edmund55

Estimable
Nov 5, 2015
Aye it has to be said that Mse , a free piece of Microsoft software has all the strengths of an anti-virus app without all the nonsense , pop ups , RAM overusage.I was given the advice about three years ago from a friend to delete my protection software and install Mse as it,s functions are simple but very effective for catching that wriiggling virus you seem to have overcomplicated by most protection software installations......A virus cleaning hot iron!

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

I beg to differ but assuming you have common sense when surfing the internet, its fine

Prate_k

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
I use avast, Its safe and there is a free version. The paid version has more features but i think the free version covers all the needed basic protection. Its not irritating with pop-ups and neither does it hog the resources it sits there quietly.. sometimes i even doubt if its working the i just run quick scans... Along with avast i have advanced system care which i think are the only two softwares you need to keep your pc safe ^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.