Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prate_k

Estimable
Jul 8, 2015
Generally speaking linux doesn't need any antivirus programs. But it is recommended if you swap files between windows and linux so the windows partition doesn't get infected and probably for browser protection. I've seen a few but haven't used any. F-secure, comodo, avast just to name a few ^^..
If you want to be sure here is a link about anti virus security on linux:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/avc_linux_2015_en.pdf
I skimmed through it, looks useful.

G

hey all,

well i went back to using avira free as avg free has just gotten to the point of to much crapola that is not needed or wanted in this case. so far avira has only brought it up at the time of install and i haven't seen it any more.
so far it seems to be doing ok and haven't noticed any bad things about it so far. if so i will post back.

life is good.
the poorguy

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
I run none. Well, I have Malwarebytes free but it "expired" but I can still scan. I have good browsing habits though so I don't get viruses, and if I do I'll tackle it head on myself or just reinstall my OS.

The_Tester

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
I run Norton, i've been running it since 2009 when I did my last main build (when the fat cutting took place). To be honest I don't think I actually need one as I normally stay away from the... well let's say "ghettos" of the internet lol. But I have had numerous occasions where something I was downloading or transferring was stopped before it even completed and got straight up erased buy norton (followed by a report). I do like the current rendition, it is an extremely light program these days. Barely uses any ram or CPU unless it's doing a scheduled event or routine background scan.

I dunno... When it comes to things like data security and robustness it's one of the very few situation were I don't like the word "free".

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

If you haven't found it, there is a link "Stop Tracking This Thread" link on the very first message of this thread.

ohiou_grad_2006

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
I've used avast on my home system for probably the last 5 years. I think I've had one infection in that time. I got a backdoor rootkit or something on it somehow because I try to watch what I'm doing. Pretty easy to remove and no issues since.

nokturrduk84

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I moved to 360 total security & I'm loving it. No annoying popups, doing it's work very well & of course it's free. Had Bitdefender with 1 year license, but didn't like it (was slowing PC shutdown).

nokturrduk84

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Thank you!

nokturrduk84

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

Depends on a PC you have. If you have high-end PC, they won't slow you. Once I installed Eset+Malware bytes + Windows Defender, still didn't feel any slow things.

Status
Not open for further replies.