Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

tried Bitdefender Free but kinda not liking it. Crashes whenever I start games, also make them lag alot untill it finally crash. No option (as i saw) for manual scan or add exceptions... did not see any quarantine...
Open for suggestions...

Stellla

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
I am currently using AVStrike Antivirus for Windows and its working pretty good till now. It is equipped with effective antibot protection, browser tracking blocker, Website safety advisor & other interesting features.

drumrocker365

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
Paid. Had my fare share of free stuff. All the free stuff seems good at first, then I always end up with a virus. Since I switched to Bitdefender Anti-virus Plus, I've had no issues.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010

With that system you have, I bet not even a resource hog, protection software suite will affect your comp.

woolyback

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
I've been quite happy with Adaware free, If I get paranoid I sometimes use that housecall.trendmicro online scanner just to doublecheck

G

hey all, I used to use adaware free 11 I believe whichever the latest one is and it seemed to do ok. I never had any issues at all and it had lots of features for a free antivirus. I just didn't like the fact that I had to set up an account to keep using it that was my only complaint as with the rest that require you to do that.
the poorguy

G

hey all, this was already said in an earlier post but I thought it was worth saying again a good web search site that believes in privacy is called DuckDuckGo and I use it and like it because of that reason. doesn't track cookies and doesn't have advertisement on what I search for and it is also open source which I am into.
the poorguy

G

it is a good browser on any platform. it seems to locate all of my searchs.
the poorguy

Turb0Yoda

Honorable
Herald
Jul 12, 2013
I'm still using the Free Avast, paired with Malwarebytes and Spybot SSD.. and Junkware Removal Tool and a couple of other odds and ends.. I used Ghostery, and I forget why I uninstalled it, but Adblock+ works just fine so far. Although, I'm at 62% RAM usage at 4 gigs total with Chrome open(Just for Toms :p)

@PoorGuy. I set up a VPN + Tor + DuckDuckGo Plus I have a nightly dump of cookies and whatnot if they save... I'm somewhat paranoid

EDIT: Closed a lot of misc stuff and I'm at 39% used of basic windows + Avast in Taskmanager.. 64 bit win 7... PC specs are below in my sig, I'd advise not to click as you may be blinded by how old it is :p

G

yeah ain't nothin wrong with being somewhat paranoid. who really knows if websites really honor what they preach. hell i trust no one or very few, you have to be that way anymore and i have nothing to hide it is just something i have always done. we can thank google, hell they are always eaves dropping on someone. thought about doing the linux tails for moble anyway don't want to go off topic.
the poorguy

G

hey SR-71 Blackbird, i also use antivirus on all of my main desktop boxes. i do have 1 desktop that i don't have any antivirus on just for something to keep my web habits honed as to be safe and so far so good not a virus in 2 years. if i do get 1 it ain't no thing i will just wipe it and start again. made it that way just because i could and don't do anything but web search on it. like my freeware though,ain't found no good deals like alot of you guys seem to have found.
the poorguy

Status
Not open for further replies.