Do you use : No Antivirus , FREE Antivirus , or PAID Antivirus and why?

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
Thanks the torrent solution sounds nice but then id have to teach everyone in the shops how to get their files... and trust me they are like.... well lets just say they are afraid to do anything else than using the computer as typing machine

Willie0

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015

I'm with you Paul. Whats the point paying for one. Roll on Free antivirus

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

I would only pay AV and AM if their service allows me to pay for a lifetime and if they only allow me to pay 60 dollars a year or every 3 years or something I would not waste 150 dollars+ paying every year or every 2-3 years just to have an antivirus on your computer and rather just get a free one instead or good one that allows me to pay a certain amount of money once for my whole computer span.

I would not Recommend MSE, unless you are a very careful user..Too many low detection rates according to many reports

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Well, torrent's are very easy to use. I don't think it's that difficult for anyone. I could actually write up a one page instructional model for you, and no one should have a problem getting used to it. The only downside to it is if you're exchanging files that are constantly updated, since that would likely change the hash value, and that means a new torrent would be created every time it's updated. In that case, something like FTP would be best. But if it's mostly sharing of stock files, templates, and such, then torrents might be a great solution.

PM me if you want any help or details. Always happy to help.

Well, if you're not adverse to paying $60 a year, that comes out to $180 every three... which is more than paying $150 for three years... Still not a lump sum up front, and you can switch without losing out early, so makes sense. But you can buy AVs and AMs for cheap. Newegg always seems to have deals going on, and software companies seem to enjoy putting a chunk out for cheap to stimulate buyers. I paid less than $10 for a year of Webroot AV, even though I practically never use it. I've seen a number of other AVs on there for under $10 a year too, and some are top tier in my books; just takes a little patience.

Also, even paying retail for ones like Bitdefender isn't too terrible for a yearly price. Personally, I don't find it worth paying for, but I'm also a more advanced user. But, for just under $7/month, for a yearly fee, that's pretty decently priced. Pair that with a quality VPN, which you can get at under $5/month at a yearly rate, and you're definitely sitting pretty good.

Pick your battles wisely, is really what I'm getting at.

Turb0Yoda

Honorable
Herald
Jul 12, 2013
I torrent my Linux Distros because I can shave off 5-10 minutes...
The md5 tells you if the file was altered, yes. If it changes from what was given to you, something went wrong

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
The worst part for cleaning the computers I've had the misfortune of working on... they install one of the most common AVs, and tell me they don't have a virus... when they have more than just a virus, and they've done everything possible to make their AV stop working. And then there are the people who have an AV, but it's slowing down their computer to a crawl, yet it's keeping the majority of malware from taking over. Most of the time, I wish I could just do a clean install, but they ALWAYS insist on just cleaning it by hand. For some reason, they'd rather have me take a full week to clean their computer, and give it back to them still slow as shit due to registry problems, instead of returning it to them at factory speeds, in only a couple days.

I'm sick of the AV business... too many crappy ones, and too many people with their heads in the sand, preaching how well their AV works... meanwhile, I'm spending over 40 hours cleaning it up, just so they can go buy a new one in a month because their old one is "slow."

AVs piss me off lol

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

That was my case when i posted my previous comment. A virus installed Baidu on the laptop along with registry cleaner and system booster (process killer). He also didnt want the laptop reinstalled. Normally i would reinstall as last resort but when the cleaning process will take 3x the time to do fresh install...
Anyways i ended up reinstalling it because that Baidu thing wouldnt let go

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
thumbs up for Adblock Plus!
Really cool way to prevent unaware people from clicking on every banner saying "Congratulations! You won iPhone 6!"

A little update on my side: I recently switched to Panda and im really happy from it, occasionally running scans with MWB and adwcleaner/hitman pro

Skylyne

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

HAHA and Avast sucks at keeping any computer clean... holy hell, that gave me a good laugh. BD's free AV is far superior, and even that AV isn't the greatest. If you pay for it, it's in the top five, but the free one is probably the best for paying nothing... I'll give BD's free AV credit for being effective, but it really needs some work to avoid false positives, and to make you think it's actually working.

Adblock is for people who don't know how to do anything outside of googling something basic, and pressing the "I'm feeling lucky" button. Adguard is the best AIO ad blocker, even though a handful slip through it by using other techniques. Still, there's a huge list of ones that AB won't ever catch without making a custom blacklist.

As far as Panda, just keep an eye on it. It's a really paranoid AV; and although it catches a lot of really interesting things are definitely suspicious, even if they're harmless, you do get to learn a lot due to its paranoid heuristics.

I might come across a bit irritated, but that isn't what I meant. Just picture me chuckling the whole time... that's how it was written lol.

Theminecraftaddict555

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2014

IMHO I think I feel protected with Avast free with Hardened mode on...But again everybody has different views of the usage with Avast...Though when it comes to cleaning crap out its not good for that

vesp3r

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Every AV is either paranoid or [bad] (my opinion). Avast for instance... we had that one on all computers in our network and few of the most common "viruses" were running amok through all pc`s w/o the AV being able to do anything. (Im talking about it stopping the Autorun.inf. Again... Its just my point of view

AB plus do need a bit tweak on its black list thats true, i always do it and if i see anything that dont get blocked i add it to the black list. It did help me keep alot of computers cleaner. Panda does get paranoid sometimes for me too... especially when i try to install and config remote access program so i can control that pc from distance. However i never stay with same AV for more than 4-5 months. keeping your computer clean is like keeping yourself healthy - if you take same pills for long time they will just stop being useful to you. Thats why i always look for another good AV to try out

[Curse word removed through moderation]

123andrew

Estimable
May 29, 2015
Hi

Yes, I do use an antivirus software because I feel it is very important for my system. What I mean to say is when a user browse he/she click on various links some of which may be a spam also when some software is downloaded many different kind of virus may get an oppourtunity to enter the system, using an antivirus restricts such threats and keep system clean and safe.

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Kaspersky Finds New Nation-State Attack—In Its Own Network

a case of the watchers watching the watchers who are watching them

http://www.wired.com/2015/06/kaspersky-finds-new-nation-state-attack-network/

spooky2th

Distinguished
May 18, 2010
Kaspersky warns hackers can takeover your car with access to the brakes, throttle,steering and locks

06/13/2015

Security experts at Kaspersky have noted that modern-day cars which are semi-autonomous can already be hacked, raising security concerns for future self-driven vehicles.

With the Internet of Things (IoT) becoming a steady reality, connected cars are already a reality while autonomous self-driven cars are right around the corner. With the automotive industry increasingly depending on technology, there are threats to be addressed and according to Kaspersky Labs, the threats are entirely likely, with vulnerabilities already present in modern day cars.

The threat is already here

more here:
http://govtslaves.info/kaspersky-warns-hackers-can-takeover-your-car-with-access-to-the-brakes-throttlesteering-and-locks/

fkr

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
I have tried most every ant-virus over the years.

currently use ghostery and as block

currently use comodo internet security premium (it is free) great firewall and anti-virus.

kaspersky was always a favorite but it is not free

TheLoneWolf989

Distinguished
May 10, 2013
I've used most free anitvirus programs and Qihoo 360 is the best, nothing can come close to its abilities. Combine that with Malwarebytes etc. and you have a very secure PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS