Does an app exist that forces landscape mode for video?

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets frustrated seeing broadcasts of video shot on cell phones, where the portrait aspect ratio results in the stations doing the infamous "blur-n-zoom" sidebars, where only a narrow center slice has the content of interest.

Does an app exist that captures a landscape format video, even if the device is held in portrait orientation?

If not, can someone please invent one so that we don't have to squint at a tiny vertical video being squeezed onto a wide screen? Maybe some day, there will be an app option like "Capture in landscape format regardless of device orientation"

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I'm talking about putting logic into the application to ignore the sensor, and just shoot landscape no matter what.

roricka

Estimable
Nov 17, 2014
You may as well ask is there an app that looks right even though the camera is pointed left! If I'm holding my phone in portrait mode, there is nothing I can do to alter the way the light falls on the rectangular CCD array. You do understand the basics of a sensor and a lens, don't you?

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Sure I understand. Let the light fall on the rectangular sensor, but then shape the image to put black bars on the top and bottom and set the aspect ratio to landscape. You'd lose some resolution, but at least it will be in the correct format.

So for those people who wish to remain idiots and hold their phones vertically, this software would crop and display a widescreen pic on their vertical screen.

Of course, this can be overridden, but what percentage of video shot is actually intended to be portrait?

TRENDING THREADS