Does connecting the laptop to monitor slows down gaming frame rate?

Mar 20, 2018
I have Dell 5577 with i5 7300HQ, GTX 1050 4GB, 8GB Ram. Will monitor slows down gaming frame rate when connected to a laptop? I want to connect it to LG 29 inch Ultrawide monitor with 2560x1080 resolution.

Solution
The Dell 5577 has a 1920x1080 resolution screen.

As long as you mirror the laptop's display to the monitor then there should be no performance loss. That means the same video signal is being set to both the laptop screen and the monitor so they display the exact same thing. Which means you will be limiting the resolution to 1920x1080 at most.

If you want to play games at max resolution on the monitor then that will mean performance will be less. The higher the resolution, the more graphically demanding the game will be.
Mar 20, 2018

So it means on monitor I have to play it on 1366x768?

No, it means that you have to lower either quality or resolution as the card isnt made for playing at high resolution (if you experience stuttering or low fps), experiment, till you find the sweetspot.
It really depends from game to game but you can play without problem.

As long as you mirror the laptop's display to the monitor then there should be no performance loss. That means the same video signal is being set to both the laptop screen and the monitor so they display the exact same thing. Which means you will be limiting the resolution to 1920x1080 at most.

If you want to play games at max resolution on the monitor then that will mean performance will be less. The higher the resolution, the more graphically demanding the game will be.

Solution

Mar 26, 2018
I have the same laptop and have experienced the same bizzare incident. I don't know why but the laptop drops Upto 20 fps when I use an external monitor there is no logical explanation as to why but it does.I tried everything from scrren resolution to drivers to tesselation and deinterlace but nothing works