Question Can I have 3 external monitors connected to my laptop?

Dec 22, 2020
Hi there, I currently have my HP laptop connected to 2 external monitors - but was wondering if I can add a 3rd.

My current setup is:
1st display - Laptop (intel graphics card 520)
2nd display - 2560x1080 ultrawide via HDMI
3rd display - 1920x1080 monitor via mini displayport

I was wondering if I can add a 4th display - a simple 1920x1080 but as there are no more hdmi/display ports left, could I do this via a "Usb to HDMI" adapter? For example this one below:

www.amazon.co.uk/RMFC-Multi-Display-Converter-Projector-Compatible-Black/dp/B08NPDJDM7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Something like this may work:

What are you using the three displays for (intended use)? Also, what is the model of your HP?

Dec 22, 2020
Something like this may work:

What are you using the three displays for (intended use)? Also, what is the model of your HP?

Hi - thanks for your response.

Intended use is working from home (large corporation and lots going on) - that link you've posted is very similar to what I was looking at to.

Was just wondering as the intel website states the card may only support 3 displays, maybe including itself? Not sure if that was just a reference to the HDMI/DP ports available
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www...n-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-520.html

Laptop specs:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible
i5-6200
8GB Ram
256gb ssd
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520

Last edited by a moderator:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi - thanks for your response.

Intended use is working from home (large corporation and lots going on) - that link you've posted is very similar to what I was looking at to.

Was just wondering as the intel website states the card may only support 3 displays, maybe including itself? Not sure if that was just a reference to the HDMI/DP ports available
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www...n-intel-processors/intel-hd-graphics-520.html

Laptop specs:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible
i5-6200
8GB Ram
256gb ssd
Intel(R) HD Graphics 520
The iGPU can only drive so many displays and likely the info reflected above.

The device I linked is a converter, so the iGPU is likely not a direct factor (USB device handling the conversion). Should be okay for general use, but not suitable for gaming and other high-performance uses.

Are you using the laptop screen as well (potentially the 3rd or even a 4th screen)?

Dec 22, 2020
The iGPU can only drive so many displays and likely the info reflected above.

The device I linked is a converter, so the iGPU is likely not a direct factor (USB device handling the conversion). Should be okay for general use, but not suitable for gaming and other high-performance uses.

Are you using the laptop screen as well (potentially the 3rd or even a 4th screen)?

Ah okay I haven't used a converter previously so unsure on what it offers. No need for gaming/high-performance.

Ideally I would like to use the laptop screen as well (4 screens in total) but if it meant I couldn't, I'd try to use the 3 monitors and not the laptop screen (if possible)

Reckon it's worth getting the USB to HDMI converter or will the limited number of displays be the limitation?

Thanks

Definitely far more pricier, but this was designed for exactly what you want to do: Matrox TripleHead2Go. Pretty sure you have to use the same resolution across the board, however.
triplehead2go_business_productivity_setup_400x225.png

-Wolf sends

Jan 30, 2021
Hi there, I currently have my HP laptop connected to 2 external monitors - but was wondering if I can add a 3rd.

My current setup is:
1st display - Laptop (intel graphics card 520)
2nd display - 2560x1080 ultrawide via HDMI
3rd display - 1920x1080 monitor via mini displayport

I was wondering if I can add a 4th display - a simple 1920x1080 but as there are no more hdmi/display ports left, could I do this via a "Usb to HDMI" adapter? For example this one below:

www.amazon.co.uk/RMFC-Multi-Display-Converter-Projector-Compatible-Black/dp/B08NPDJDM7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks

Try using a splitter on one (or more) of the existing HDMI inputs. The display signal might degrade a little but something tells me that's not a problem for you. They're pretty cheap and available almost everywhere. Hope it helps. Worst case scenario, you spend a few bucks but learn a lot more. Have a great day!

Try using a splitter on one (or more) of the existing HDMI inputs. The display signal might degrade a little but something tells me that's not a problem for you. They're pretty cheap and available almost everywhere. Hope it helps. Worst case scenario, you spend a few bucks but learn a lot more. Have a great day!

This will just duplicate the existing output not add another one.