Does Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro work under Win 7

mben

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Is Corel not telling the full truth or has anyone else got Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro to work correctly under Win 7 Professional?

Corel claims that Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro is compatibility with Win 7. I can not get it to work and following 6 pages of tech support instructions to start with a clean install of everything to include Win 7 and then adding Corel WinDVD 2010 Pro does not work either in 32 bit or 64 bit mode. WinDVD constant error message is that my display environment does support protected material. Windows Media Player has no problem playing any DVD that Corel has rejected.

Oh, the patch WinDVD 2010 Pro dated November 2009 does not work as it is UNABLE to find an installed versions of WinDVD 2010.

My systems run Win 7 without a problem, but I suspect Corel has rushed a product to the market without testing. Shame because WinDVD 4-7 worked great when they were released.

I have tried tech support phone - no answers just rings and then disconnects. I tried chat support and got a canned response to reinstall My 3rd attempt was e-mail which contained instructions like "Run Selective Startup using System Configuration" with no hint to do a restore point first. "Disable your ant-virus/spyware, firewall and User Account Control during the clean reinstallation. Manually download from Microsoft DirectX End-User Runtime, Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 (x86), Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (x86), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (x86), Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86), and my personal favorite, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. The "rerun Windows Update and afterwood reboot your computer Now reinstalll Corel 2010 Pro - run the fotware and observe it it works."

I always was taught the if the program needs additional material, then it is the responsibility of the program to have those needed additional material available in the program.

tlwalker1962

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
"This error relates to the HDCP copy protection built into WinDVD Pro 2010 w/Blu Ray. The error is apparent because your display environment contains more than one output device (i.e. monitor and External Television or other display device).

In order for WinDVD to playback correctly, you need to reduce your environment down to a single output. Otherwise HDCP thinks you are using the second output to create copies."

That is the response I got from Corel's phone support. I am certain that they are correct about the HDCP copy protection, but their cure did not work for me regardless of which OS, computer, monitors or display setup I use. (I am actually on hold with them at this very moment, waiting for their next guess 1/18/2010)

I got the exact same responses you received and followed all their silly reinstall suggestions. But as this is a copy protection feature built into the program, the error cannot be solved with reinstallations.

However when I run Slysoft's AnyDVD HD in the background, WinDVD Pro 2010 w/Blu Ray works perfectly. However, running another program to make WinDVD work, grates on my nerves. And the legality of using AnyDVD in this country is still questionable.

Will update this response if Corel ever gets me up and running.

Terry Walker

tlwalker1962

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Well, after an hour of watching a Corel technician mess around on my computer, he fails to get WinDVD Pro 2010 with Blu Ray to do anything except fail to run a simple rental movie!

So he tells me WinDVD doesn't support 64bit XP Pro and he is going to close my case.

Oh, and he won't give me my money back because my purchase is over 30 days old, even though the program has a total time counter that indicates the program has never played a second of video!

And this is after he told me his service was going to cost me $15, which I of course, did not pay!

So while I have him on my computer, I show him how I can simply load Slysoft's AnyDVD HD and violla WinDVD works as it should! Because this is nothing but a pure and simple HDCP copy protection issue within WinDVD's own code.

So my $60 WinDVD Pro 2010 with Blu Ray is a useless program unless I upgrade to Windows 7, which it supposedly works under. But only if you set your video output to one screen, with the right monitor and just the right resolution! Ridiculous!

droideka1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have 64 bit Windows 7 and CorelWinDVD 10 and get the same error message. But the single monitor I use, an Acer 2016W (which is Vista certified!) is NOT HDCP compliant. So this will never work, regardless of your video card settings: like one monitor or 2, etc. Don't you just love all this digital rights management stuff?

Now, I have a hunch that hooking my monitor up via the video card's VGA port instead of the digital will make this work but who here wants lower tech? "Oh no our revenue stream will be hurt if we allow the computer folks to watch movies!" Corel and hollywood have black eyes here.

delboy11

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Delboy

I also have spent £59 on Windvd 2010 when I bought Windows 7 home premium. When I installed Windvd but it would not play any dvd's. Corel support was not help, either email or phone. One technician suggested I return the installation disk for a refund, but because I had been away for some time the 30 day return period was up.
That was some months ago, so I tried the other day to reinstall it, turning off the firewall and anti-virus before starting. It did
not work this time either, so I have given up and I think I will buy Powerdvd in future.

The strange thing was when I went to uninstall it, there was a Windvd 2010 icon on the decktop, but when I went to "uninstall
or change a program" Windvd 2010 was not there. I then went to "Local disk and Programs" and deleted it from there. I then went
to "regedit" to delete the registry entries as per Corel's instructions on how to manually remove Windvd 2010. There was NO
entries for Windvd 2010. I ran CCleaner but it found no entries either. Can anyone explain that?

I have reinstalled Windvd 9 plus blu-ray and that works, after the third attempt and NOT installing any of the updates for it.
I think Windvd was better and more reliable software before it was run by Corel.

Eyeball_36

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Well what should i say,

Windvd 2010 is the worst software player have ever worked with. I use this player on a Windows 7 64bit system. I can play movies(DVD and Blue-ray) but the player is very buggy and after al im not able to update it. Then it says "Can't find windvd on this computer" bla bla bla...

The products from intervideo were much better! Corel lauched a product that's half finished.
Im really angry at corel, i payed like 70 euro for crap, never again!!!!

I think the best option to play blue-ray/dvd on your computer wil be powerdvd.

Corel Windvd 2010 Suck!

Im out.

primesequence

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Totally agree - the product is useless. It won't even run on my ThinkPad W510 with windows 7 pro. I see the flash screen for a split second and then nothing. And yes service pack 1 is unable to find WinDVD on my machine.

A class action suit anybody?

PrimeSequence

Cococbean64

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
Well, I'm "happy" (if that's possible) to see that I'm not the only one with windvd issues.
I thought I was going nuts for a while.
Program installed ok under win7 64bit, would open but that's all. Click play nothing happens.

Uninstalled it and will go with either Arcsoft or Powerdvd although either is quite pricy as well.