Does DisplayPort support encoded bitstreaming?

firstrig

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I read up almost all material there is on the internet about HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort and there is no clear consensus on the said problem. Although it says that DisplayPort does carry audio signals, there is no discrete note on whether it supports encoded audio bitstreaming or not such that I can route an unprocessed DTS/Dolby signal from my Geforce GTX 660 to my home-theater's receiver to decode.

To summarize :

Does the DisplayPort transmission medium, in general, support audio bitstreaming?

Does the DisplayPort on the Geforce GTX 660 support audio bit streaming like the HDMI port?

Solution

HDMI is the recommended method of attaching a Home Theater receiver as it supports a few technologies that DisplayPort does not such as remote control codes. If HDMI is an option, then HDMI should be chosen. However, if HDMI is not an option...

firstrig

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

Thank you for the prompt response. Could you provide a citation if you don't mind? I literally spent an hour looking for a source to confirm the same. Neither the official Wikipedia page nor any audiophile forum mentions the use of DisplayPort for encoded high fidelity audio formats like DTS and Dolby. The best they do is a casual mention that DisplayPort is capable of carrying audio while most of them recommend using HDMI, which doesn't help my specific query at all.

Pinhedd

Distinguished

HDMI is the recommended method of attaching a Home Theater receiver as it supports a few technologies that DisplayPort does not such as remote control codes. If HDMI is an option, then HDMI should be chosen. However, if HDMI is not an option DisplayPort will work just fine, albeit without support for remote control codes.

Here's VESA's overview of the technology, scroll down to around page 30

http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/ICCE-Presentation-on-VESA-DisplayPort.pdf

VESA maintains the DisplayPort standard so I would certainly assume that they know what they're talking about

Solution