Does image quality depends only on PPI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikorush

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
I am not 100% sure how it works and if its called DPI or PPI but I will use PPI here.

I noticed that my Galaxy S6 has like um 500+ PPI? And i heard more PPI means the crisper

Recently I ordered a 28 inch 4K monitor, and i used an online PPI calculator and its around 157 PPI compared to the S6 which is around 500 something

So does this mean that the S6 will look better than the 28 inch 4K monitor I am getting or something?

Solution
Your Monitor will have 8,847,360 pixels spread across 28" display when your S6 will have 3,686,400 pixels spread across ~6" But your monitor is viewed from desk while your phone is viewed from your hand near to your Eyes. PPI is more complex than comparing which has more numbers, and it is said anything beyond 400 PPI does not even make a difference to our eyes...

Seyed22Shaheen

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
Your Monitor will have 8,847,360 pixels spread across 28" display when your S6 will have 3,686,400 pixels spread across ~6" But your monitor is viewed from desk while your phone is viewed from your hand near to your Eyes. PPI is more complex than comparing which has more numbers, and it is said anything beyond 400 PPI does not even make a difference to our eyes...

Solution

caqde

Distinguished
May 31, 2007
Some other things to keep in mind besides the crispness of the image. Color accuracy, Color quantity, Contrast, refresh rate, and viewing angles. You can have as many pixels as you want but if you have horrible color accuracy and you're only able to view it correctly from a few select angles without color distortion then regardless of the crisp image you might be able to get your image will be bad.

Also as Seyed pointed out the viewing distance also plays a large part in this. The closer you are to your display the large the PPI you will want as our eyes will naturally be able to decipher the difference between individual pixels of smaller sizes. Because most people view their phone from maybe a foot or so away from their eyes more PPI are required to create an image we would view as being crisp and sharp. Whereas a TV or monitor will need far less for the same effect due to the much larger distance between the viewer and the display especially TV's.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from aikorush : "Does image quality depends only on PPI?"

Status
Not open for further replies.