Does increasing RAM in the Laptop cause any problem

Ankit Saxena

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
I have planned to purchase a laptop of Sony Vaio. It's a low budget laptop with simple configuration. Core i3 processor, ! Gb graphic card, 2 gb RAM.
The dealer has assured me that he will add a 4gb RAM. (As it has one unused slot). My question is that will there be any problem if i'm increasing RAm of my Laptop coz i have heard some people saying their laptop has caused some problems (like pc hangs) after RAM upgradation. Is it so?? Will it cause any problem in my case?

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
It can do, Check if he is adding 4gb, or adding two to bring it up to 4gb.... If the dealer is any good, he should be adding an identical stick (adding 2gb to make 4gb) of RAM to operate dual channel mode. Which would be better than bunging an extra 4gb of RAM in single channel... It's simpler too. I would frown at a vendor offering me mismatching RAM, and would probably take my custom elsewhere.

Ankit Saxena

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

What does mixing two different RAM actually mean? Does it mean RAM with different sizes or any other technical differences?

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Different size, latency, or speed, they have to be identical to operate in dual channel, which is almost twice as fast as they operate toggether. Think of it as a RAID system in ram

drtoast

Honorable
May 10, 2013
Different size, latency, or speed, they have to be identical to operate in dual channel, which is almost twice as fast as they operate toggether. Think of it as a RAID system in ram