does lenovo g40 45 support egpu?

Hawkzym

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

hello , i would like to ask if my laptop(lenovo g40-45) support the egpu ( exp gdc beast v8)
and does i need to use external monitor also??

Edit: im thinking of using nvidia graphic card

[two posts merged by moderator]

Hawkzym

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

AMD A6-6310 with R4 graphic 1.80 ghz

those card should fine.mind you that the egpu wont push the card to its full potential.it will be running at pcie x4 speed instead of x16.

Hawkzym

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

:) , thank you . do you think i can run game like dota 2 / lol smoothly if i use that setup ,? or i should just continue collecting money and buy pc later?

Jasiek95

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

I do believe it'll be limited to x1 PCIe. seeing as mini PCIe uses 1 PCIe lane. Still wont get as much as if the OP had optimus with an intel cpu, then he could take advantage of nvidia compression.

well the best decision is offcourse to save money and get a new laptop.your cpu and apu is not fast enough.u can play those game but your cpu is still a bottleneck and may cause frame drops and stutter at times.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

hi. my laptop uses PCIe half mini card slot for the wireless network card. Is it compatible with the exp gdc? much thanks!

Jasiek95

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

Yes that should be fine. Almost all mPCIe cards today are half length nowadays and as far as I know. I had a half-height mPCIe card myself on my Lenovo y510p and it worked just fine. Also, i'm pretty sure all the exp gdc beasts are made to work with half-size cards.

Solrac Oreca

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014

Thank you so much! I'll be ordering the dock soon but what GPU to add and would 500watts bronze/gold PSU be overkill or will it be okay and I could use it when I'll have the money to build an actual pc minus the PSU maybe?

My laptop specs at the moment:
i7 4710HQ 2.5GHz boosts clock to 3.5Ghz
GTX 850m 4GB DDR3 (causes a massive frame drop when going 100% gpu usage, might be faulty hardware or engineering as this laptop uses a 90watt charger)
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L upgrading to 16GB
250GB SATAIII SSD and 1TB HDD using dvd caddy adapter

Will it be okay to match it with either these GPUs:
GTX 1070 (Used) if I get one cheap, people are selling these nowadays after the miner craze so I'm not sure but it may contain graphical artifact issues if so, thoughts?
GTX 1060 (Brand new) too expensive brand new in these current gpu market though
GTX 970 (Used) Really cheap, priced like a brand new 1050ti, but then again it might be overused or even outdated at this point?
RX 480/580 (Used/Brand new) both problems exists, came from an overused miner or expensive gpu market

This has been very long but I'd really appreciate it if you take an effort to share your thoughts. Thank you so much!

Jasiek95

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

That's all right, I'm here to help.

I would highly suggest you save up for a long-term build with a desktop PC. For me the eGPU was just a placeholder until I finished my gaming rig. So that means get a PSU wattage that you would consider putting in your final computer (the 500w is overkill for the eGPU, i ran a 1060 on a 180w. But I didn't buy the 180w and I would never buy such a weak PSU just to use it for a little while).

Those are nice specs, here are the specs for my y510p:

CPU: i7-4700MQ (~2.4GHz, 3.4GHz turbo but I overclocked it to 3.6GHz turbo)
GPU: 2x Nvidia 750m GT in SLI
RAM: 12GB DDR3L 1600
HDD: 1TB SATAIII 7200 RPM HDD

My eGPU setup initially was a 2GB MSI Armor GTX 960 with a 180w PSU. I then upgraded to an ASUS Turbo GTX 1060 6GB.

Here's my two cents: The eGPU is great for pushing extra performance out of the laptop but unfortunately it is deficient in one big area:

1) The mPCIe 1x bus will be over-saturated. This isn't a problem in games that don't stress VRAM such as CS:GO, DOTA 2 etc... and even Tekken 7 for me ran on ultra with 100% scaling and only dropped below 60FPS occasionally during cutscenes.

Now games that are poorly optimized present a challenge for the eGPU setup. PuBG for example is notoriously unoptimized and the card will perform poorly in that conformation. All though i never tried PuBG with it, I did manage to play some Battlefield 1, which is also poorly optimized. On the lowest possible settings at 1080p I was getting ~50fps and raising it to ultra only lowered that to 40fps.

My brother that runs a 960m with his laptop was getting 70fps on lowest at 1080p but around 15-20 fps on ultra. During this time, my brothers PCU bus usage was around 10% while mine was 70% (clearly an indicator of PCI Bus saturation).

My 750m in SLI was performing better than my eGPU on lowest with 65fps average and only 15% PCI bus usage. This was with a 960 mind you, upgrading to a 6GB 1060 increased my fps by 5 on lowest and had no effect on the higher settings.

GTA 5 ran about 50fps on a mixture of high and ultra while lowest got me around 90FPS. Less demanding games ran fine though and I noticed marked improvements across the board. Tekken 7 at 1080p with my 750m SLI was getting around 40 FPS on lowest and with a 960 I could play on high with 60FPS. A 1060 did help but only ~5 FPS.

FIFA 17 which ran poorly with my 750m SLI (around 40fps on lowest) was running 60FPS on ultra, but occasionally would spike which was a nuisance (think it's the game, EA are notorious for rushing titles).

Planetside 2 (a very CPU intensive game) meanwhile I was able to increase my fps by 20 on lowest but that game is unoptimized and barely stresses the CPU so that's just there because I enjoy the game ;).

What you will notice is that you will definitely be able to play games, at least up to 2x more performance than with a laptop GFX card and ultra but really you will be disappointed after a while. Hopefully your wlan card uses mPCIe 3rd generation, which has double the bandwidth of my 2nd gen mPCIe which will give you a little more wiggle room.

Also, Nvidia cards have (or used to have, I do believe the new drivers make eGPUs using the mPCIe interface more difficult to connect now) optimus compression, which compresses data to reduce overhead and bus saturation when a x1 connection is detected and an intel display driver is installed(it increases the performance by up to 300% apparently but AMD cards don't benefit from this if I recall correctly).

As for the GPU, go for the 1070. I chose the 1060 because it was used for $250 AU ($195 US) otherwise I would've bought the 1070. It has been running great though, for almost 4 months now and have no complaints (still runs BF1 on ultra at 70-80 FPS). But really, all those GPUs are very good it just depends what you're willing to spend. If you can afford a 1070 go for it, you won't notice worse performance when compared to a 1060 in the 1x slot, but the performance gained will be very small (at most, 10fps). If you had it in a x16 slot on the other hand, you're looking at a much greater impact.

Final words: Look at this as a short-term solution. Buy the best parts you can afford that you would build a PC with so that when you have the chance to do so, you can just throw those parts in your new rig and sell your old laptop if needed. If you're really short on cash, you can try the good ol' x58 motherboard and xeon x56xx combo and jsut be patient, a good deal will come sooner or later. If you have any other queries, shoot them over, I'd love to help you out.