Does my Laptop Require Fan cleaning and repasting ?

knowledge2121

Honorable
Sep 5, 2013
I bought my ROG G53SX-A1 on NOV , 30 , 2011. I want to Buy the SF-19 cooling pad as well.

My question is : Should I send my Notebook in for cleaning and repasting ? or should I wait for another year ?

Solution
depends..

If you live in a "clean room".. then no
If you live in a greasy café by day and work in a fluffy carpet beating company by night.. probably!!!

Seriously.. how the hell are we supposed to know?.. look at it. .if it looks like it getting clogged up with dust and crap. .probably worth cleaning it.. through you can probably do a decent job yourself with minimal disassembly.

Cheers.

if you take the plastic back panel off you should be able to get at the fan.

it shouldnt need new thermal paste but a good cleaning with some compressed air is a great idea.

while you are in there blow off the mainboard as well as anything else which looks dusty

yoji

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
depends..

If you live in a "clean room".. then no
If you live in a greasy café by day and work in a fluffy carpet beating company by night.. probably!!!

Seriously.. how the hell are we supposed to know?.. look at it. .if it looks like it getting clogged up with dust and crap. .probably worth cleaning it.. through you can probably do a decent job yourself with minimal disassembly.

Cheers.

Solution
@op

so you are physically incapable of taking out about 5 screws and tilting back the bottom cover?

seriously that is all there is to removing the bottom of most laptops (its a large plate, not the whole cover)

if you cant do that... then at least blow it out from the outside.

sending it out for service is not cheap and is a waste of cash for just dusting IMO

well screws are easy to remove.

the back plate normally just flips off (one end has tabs on it)

and thats as far as you go... just blow into it and dont touch anything inside.

then the cover goes back on

screws go back in.

as long as you dont go poking or prodding inside or drop any screws inside it should be a non issue.