Solved! Does my laptop use the energy from the power source at 100%

blacking

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
Good morning,
Two days ago, I bought a Lenovo (Legion) Y530 laptop and I'm quite satisfied with it,, I have one doubt though;
When I was about to buy the laptop, the person that was in the laptop area at the store, told me that most of the new laptops nowadays have this technology to prevent batteries from becoming weak on battery life, which is the fact that when the laptop is charging, when it reaches 100%, the energy is not being consumed by the battery, but exclusively by the power adapter. This is, as if the battery was removable, and I removed it and only left the power cord on so I could be an hour or two with it on.

Is this true? Or was it only seller cheap-talk to make me buy the laptop?

Cheers!

Solution
This appears to be true but it's impossible to tell without a full schematic.

There is a power state that is "plugged in but not charging" which indicates the laptop is running directly from the internal PSU in the laptop rather than from the battery. But the laptop needs the cord plugged into laptop itself to monitor that central pin that you see. This prevents the battery from being overcharged.

The following link is for an Lenovo Ideapad but it's the same concept:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Conservation-Mode-in-Lenovo-Energy-Manager-plugged-in-not/ta-p/1677271

thx1138v2

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
This appears to be true but it's impossible to tell without a full schematic.

There is a power state that is "plugged in but not charging" which indicates the laptop is running directly from the internal PSU in the laptop rather than from the battery. But the laptop needs the cord plugged into laptop itself to monitor that central pin that you see. This prevents the battery from being overcharged.

The following link is for an Lenovo Ideapad but it's the same concept:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Conservation-Mode-in-Lenovo-Energy-Manager-plugged-in-not/ta-p/1677271

Solution

blacking

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012

Thanks for the quick answer,
Yeah, the thing is I don't quite have a "Conservation Mode" in my computer nor get any messages relating to that topic, but the computer is more recent so I guess it would be safe to assume that it does have the same feature (?)