Does my rig supports VR ??

Rawad1999

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Hello there . so I am going to buy a gaming pc soon, later that I am buying the HTC Vive and I want to know if my future pc can support it and run every vr game with no problems .

Here is my rig :
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 3 ATX DDR4

CPU: intel core i5-4469 3.20ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3

GPU: Gigabyte GTX WINDFORCE 1060 6GB VR READY GDDR5

PSU : Crosair 650W +80

Does it work ok or not ?

Solution
That motherboard doesn't support that cpu. You will need a skylake CPU or kaby lake CPU. I recommend the I5 6600K then change that ddr3 memory for ddr4 memory and then yeah you're all set for vr

grundles

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
That motherboard doesn't support that cpu. You will need a skylake CPU or kaby lake CPU. I recommend the I5 6600K then change that ddr3 memory for ddr4 memory and then yeah you're all set for vr

Solution

Rawad1999

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017

if i change the cpu for the I5 6600K . can i keep the DDR3 RAM or i have to change it ?? cuz i read somewhere the it supports both DDR3 and DDR4

grundles

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
if i change the cpu for the I5 6600K . can i keep the DDR3 RAM or i have to change it ?? cuz i read somewhere the it supports both DDR3 and DDR4

It supports ddr3L which isn't the same as ddr3. You'll need ddr4 for that cpu. Ddr3 won't even physically fit into any motherboard that cpu is made for. But if you want to keep your ddr3 then your best bet would be to stick with your 4460 and get a z97 or h97 motherboard.

Sakkura

Distinguished
DDR3 is the same as DDR3L except for the voltage. Some DDR3 kits would be able to run at the 1.35V of DDR3L, and you may also not be worried about exceeding Intel's official maximum memory voltage of 1.35V. In either case DDR3 would work just fine.

It does require a motherboard with DDR3 slots (which are exactly the same as DDR3L slots).

grundles

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
DDR3 is the same as DDR3L except for the voltage. Some DDR3 kits would be able to run at the 1.35V of DDR3L, and you may also not be worried about exceeding Intel's official maximum memory voltage of 1.35V. In either case DDR3 would work just fine.

It does require a motherboard with DDR3 slots (which are exactly the same as DDR3L slots).

Yeah this is true, what I meant when I said it wouldn't physically fit is that it wouldn't fit into a DDR4 slot. I said this because it's near impossible to find a higher end board with DDR3 slots on them. If you do get a board with DDR3 slots then male sure you set your voltages correctly or you can do some significant damage.

When a company says that something isn't supported it doesn't mean that it won't work or you can't get it to work. What it means is that they haven't tested it, will not be keeping things up to date to keep it working (bios updates etc...) and they will not warranty it if it breaks. They also will not help you out with any technical related issues that arise as a result of an unsupported configuration. You can still get things to work though but to me it isn't really worth losing warranties and risk having an unstable system for an unsupported configuration (unless I had loads of money and was testing it as an experiment, but I wouldn't keep it as a crucial work PC).

If you do decide to pair DDR3 with skylake then please get back and let me know how it went. I'd like to know what issues, if any, you came up against and how well it works.

Rawad1999

Commendable
Jan 22, 2017
Ok i will go with the DDr4 ram .
can you please tell me what is better one between the 6600K sky lake and the 7600 kaby lake . cuz in the store i am buying from (from Israel btw) there is a 6600k box but with out a fan . and there is a 7600 kaby lake box with a fan .

grundles

Estimable
Feb 24, 2015
The 6600K is the skylake top end I5. Because it's a K cpu it can be overclocked using the multiplier, that's why it doesn't come with a fan because they expect everyone to throw it away anyway to put their own better cooling on. The 7600 is a refinement on the 6600, so it's slightly better at stock speeds, but it's not overclockable which is why it comes with a fan. They are both built on the same architecture...ish and perform very similar. If you want the best I5 the the 7600K is the one to go for but you will hardly notice any difference in real world scenarios between the 6600 and 7600