doubt about hdd change in toshiba laptops

DilipDattaP

Estimable
May 12, 2015
I have a toshiba satellite laptop and the hard disk got corrupted so now have to change it.
Will I retain the original windows 8 that I got with the laptop?
Can I make the purchase of hard disk my self without going to service center and is it advisable?
Finally the hard disk costs 3000 max on Amazon but the service center says it will cost me 4500 what could be the reason?

Solution
Hey there, DilipDattaP.

What exactly do you mean by "laptop and the hard disk got corrupted"? Can you give a bit more info on the issue?
If you give the model of the laptop I'll be able to tell you what type of SATA interface it uses.
As for the OEM Windows (that's what the Windows your laptop came with is called, OEM is short for original equipment manufacturer), usually you should be able to clone it to a new drive and then replace the old drive with the new one. But if your HDD is badly damaged or corrupted, chances are that you won't be able to do thas.
About the HDD price difference, it is always more expensive, when you need a service shop if your laptop is out of warranty. You pay for the services and the HDD, if you...

Boogieman_WD

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
Hey there, DilipDattaP.

What exactly do you mean by "laptop and the hard disk got corrupted"? Can you give a bit more info on the issue?
If you give the model of the laptop I'll be able to tell you what type of SATA interface it uses.
As for the OEM Windows (that's what the Windows your laptop came with is called, OEM is short for original equipment manufacturer), usually you should be able to clone it to a new drive and then replace the old drive with the new one. But if your HDD is badly damaged or corrupted, chances are that you won't be able to do thas.
About the HDD price difference, it is always more expensive, when you need a service shop if your laptop is out of warranty. You pay for the services and the HDD, if you install it yourself it would be cheaper, but if you are not experienced enough, I wouldn't recommend it. It also depends on the hard drive's model, capacity and brand as well.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

Solution

DilipDattaP

Estimable
May 12, 2015

thanks for the info my laptop is c55 a 8585 I think I am not sure. but I am going with the service center option, thanks a lot again