Driver Installation

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I feel kinda stupid asking about this because it seems so simple, but I've never done it. I'm used to Ubuntu Linux which doesn't require that I download and install drivers, so I never before. I do have knowledge of Windows though. I recently built a new computer and I was using Ubuntu, which is a great OS but there are bugs and games don't work well, and I'm switching to Windows 7. I know that the drivers that came with my parts are outdated, so should I download the newest ones to a flash drive before I install Windows, or wait until after to download and install? Also, is there anything specifically that I need to do when installing? Certain procedures or steps, or anything like that?

RealBeast

Distinguished
You will want the chipset, LAN and/or wireless drivers in the latest version on a USB drive, but the others can wait until you've done the reinstall.

Just make sure that you enable AHCI mode in the bios, and I generally turn off any services that I don't use -- like bluetooth, 1394 adapters, extra controllers that I don't plan to attach any drive to, that sort of stuff.

Only attach a single SSD or HDD for the initial install to insure that the SRP (system reserved partition) ends up on the same drive as the OS install.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Wish that I would have seen this before I did everything haha. Didn't even think about the network drive, that was a complete b***h to install. I couldn't find my software, obviously, Windows could't update them, and, again obviously, I couldn't get on the internet to download them. I downloaded them onto my phone and moved the file over haha.

As for the chipset drivers, what do you mean? Are those something provided by the motherboard manufacturer or would that be through the processor manufacturer?

Also, I've heard so many different stories about whether or not to attach both drives or only one. Some tell me that it's safe to attach both, others say that it isn't. I only attach one just in case.

RealBeast

Distinguished
The chipset driver will come from either Intel or AMD, depending on your specific CPU. The motherboard makers include the chipset driver on the install CD and they are usually pretty much up to date as they don't change too often, as long as you bought a newer model motherboard.

It is safe to attach both, but better to only attach the OS drive until the install is done to insure that the SRP ends up on the same disk as the OS disk, which can save a lot of hassles later if you remove the "spare" drive and it has the SRP on it.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

So this would be the updated chipset driver?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

I'm probably not reading this correctly, it kind of confuses me. He lists some Intel (made by them, not based around haha) but he lists the compatible chipsets as well. He makes it seem like it's only an update for their motherboards, but then makes it seem like it's for others too. I'm not positive.

http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2012/12/06/intel-chipset-drivers-windows-8-7-vista-xp.htm

RealBeast

Distinguished
Yes, that is the correct chipset driver if you have an Intel CPU and Intel chipset. It is good for all motherboards that are Intel based chipsets, so not AMD processors or Intel CPU with non-intel northbridge. If you have an Intel P35, X38, P45, P55, X58, P67, Z68, Z77, X79, and a number of others this is the correct chipset driver for you. The brand does not matter, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. as long as it is an Intel northbridge chipset.

What is your motherboard model?

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Alright thanks. Sorry for the late reply. I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, so yeah it works for me haha. Just the guy listing the motherboards screwed me up a bit.

Also, what other chipsets are there if not Intel or AMD? Do some motherboard manufacturers make their own or something?

RealBeast

Distinguished
Intel and then AMD are the big players, but I think that NVIDIA and VIA still make them. There used to be more, and there are some custom server chipset makers like Supermicro (not sure who actually fabs for anyone but Intel now).