DROID 4 Images, Specs Leaked; Bloatware Loathed

Status
Not open for further replies.

joz

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]zer0net[/nom]everyone is trying to catch upto Apple.Perhaps oneday..... but not today.[/citation]

I'd rather just shoot apple, and live with shit phones.

Scoregie

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Sigh if they're catching up to apple (IMO they're not) then that's good keeps good competition and low prices -.- .... Anyway if there copying apple why is there a full slide out keyboard right apple did that first hey YOU NO WHAT APPLE INVENTED THE WORLD SO WERE ALL gonna be sued coz were living on it....

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]Flinstone3456[/nom]But can it Play Crysis ?[/citation]
But can you think of a comment that's less cliché?

Not really interested in this phone, though I like to know what the specs of of certain phones. RAM, processor, etc. are what I'm looking forward to. I guess I can settle knowing the "outside" features...

G

wow android phones come with preloaded crap like PCs? that sucks

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Apple doesn't have a slide out keyboard. Apple doesn't even have a 1GHz dual core cpu. Apple Doesn't have 4G. Apple doesn't have anything on Android or Windows phone.

Apple fankids have no knoweledge of hardware or software, they just come from rich families. Learn something kids, instead of being numbed by the media.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]JasonZeppelin[/nom]wow android phones come with preloaded crap like PCs? that sucks[/citation]
Every carrier puts it's own software there, to make it "their own". only un-subsidized phones will come clean. That, or you can root it and have it your way. i have rooted every phone I have owned, because it's my decision what I put on there and what I remove. iOS does the same thing, but it's called Jailbreaking: it allows you to install apps from other sources than the official market. At least, Android phones let you do that (use SlideMe, Amazon Appstore and others) even without root; only certain applications require root access for deeper customization.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Apple doesn't have a slide out keyboard. Apple doesn't even have a 1GHz dual core cpu. Apple Doesn't have 4G. Apple doesn't have anything on Android or Windows phone.

Apple fankids have no knoweledge of hardware or software, they just come from rich families. Learn something kids, instead of being numbed by the media.

bennaye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]Apple doesn't have a slide out keyboard. Apple doesn't even have a 1GHz dual core cpu. Apple Doesn't have 4G. Apple doesn't have anything on Android or Windows phone. Apple fankids have no knoweledge of hardware or software, they just come from rich families. Learn something kids, instead of being numbed by the media.[/citation]

But Apple does have user experience. A majority of the users are, as you said, don't know jack about kardware or software. Those users like an experience that is smooth and integrated. All the Android's I've seen so far have some sort of inherent lag/clunkyness to them, which is disappointing given their specs. Apple doesn't have this, or at least not to such a serious degree.

You can't market user experience as that's subjective, so all opponent's of Apple are forced to choose hardware. They boast that their hardware is so much better than Apple, which it most definitely is, but sometimes that's not what counts.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]Apple fankids have no knoweledge of hardware or software, they just come from rich families.[/citation]

Bitter much?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]zer0net[/nom]everyone is trying to catch upto Apple.Perhaps oneday..... but not today.[/citation]

Catch up to apple in what? sales? perhaps.. no they did surpass them in sales or are really close.. Is it a super great phone that doesn't suck balls? no they passed apple a long time ago there.. What is it they are trying to catch up to? law suits? ugly underpowered phones with a giant apple on them? what?

G

Seriously, I don't give a gat about brands when buying a new cell... Come on it's just a darn phone, as long as it has no problem callin some1 n sendin/receivin txt n mms, I don't care.

Whatever u buy, u are going to use it for about 2~3 yrs then jump to a new 1, so what's so important about the phone brands?

Think about this: ios or android, most used/wanted apps, each users will end up using the same apps on their phones.

Thank about urself: Let's say u've installed 50 apps on ur phone. Out of those 50, I bet 45 apps will be "try once and forget about it" or "maybe oneday I might have a chance to use it", no? And the rest are something like weather, fx rate, whatever ur using it everyday.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]ovaceer[/nom]Seriously, I don't give a gat about brands when buying a new cell... Come on it's just a darn phone, as long as it has no problem callin some1 n sendin/receivin txt n mms, I don't care. Whatever u buy, u are going to use it for about 2~3 yrs then jump to a new 1, so what's so important about the phone brands?Think about this: ios or android, most used/wanted apps, each users will end up using the same apps on their phones.Thank about urself: Let's say u've installed 50 apps on ur phone. Out of those 50, I bet 45 apps will be "try once and forget about it" or "maybe oneday I might have a chance to use it", no? And the rest are something like weather, fx rate, whatever ur using it everyday.[/citation]

I use mine for work. There are several apps I need every day, some I need about once a week and others I might use once a month, but I still need it there for when that time arises.

Without a smartphone, I need 7 other devices to achieve the same results, a couple of which don't exist in another mobile device.

I use my Calculator, mail, appointment calendar, camera, phone, pitch finder and navigation almost every day. I use the hotspot, weather channel app, and radar a few times a week, and a few other tools every once in a while.

Without the smart phone, I would have to drive an extra hour or two per day (to get appointments at office), I'd have to setup multiple appointments for the times I need to use online tools (satellite measuring software) and care with me a calculator, pitch finder, and camera. I would also not be able to check my emails or get updated appointments mid day unless I drive back to the office again.

The smartphone has given me back my life, I now have a lot of free time between appointments that used to be all about taking care of crap I now can do on the spot.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]Apple doesn't have a slide out keyboard. Apple doesn't even have a 1GHz dual core cpu. Apple Doesn't have 4G. Apple doesn't have anything on Android or Windows phone. Apple fankids have no knoweledge of hardware or software, they just come from rich families. Learn something kids, instead of being numbed by the media.[/citation]

How ironic. Apple doesn't have 4G yet, that is about the only thing correct in your comments. I am reserving judgement on how much this matters in real world usage, given their dual-antenna design which is intended to deliver similar performance (no idea if it actually does - hence reserving judgement on that),.

As for the rest of your comment, to not understand that you can't compare chips simply by looking at ghz is, a schoolboy error. The A5 Apple chip running at 1ghz (as it does in the iPad 2) is faster than the Android CPU's running at 1.2 ghz. I am waiting to see benchmarks to see if the underclocked A5 running at 800mhz is as fast as the 1.2 ghz Android phones, and I bet it's close. When coupled with the fastest GPU in any phone, full stop, the iPhone 4S will no doubt be the CPU/GPU performance king, for now. So, the fastest hardware then. Now what was that you were saying about 'no knowledge of hardware'.

As for Android vs iPhone in general, there's advantages and disadvantages to both. If you want a bigger screen, go Android, if you want the fastest, go iPhone. If you want a phone which you can reinstall the operating system, go Android, if you want the most Apps, go Apple.

I would say be careful with Android though, the less-than-2-year-old Nexus one will not be receiving the ICS update - which I think is pretty bad (wheras iPhone 3GS did receive iOS 5).

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How ironic. As for a schoolboy error. The A5 Apple chip running at 1ghz (as it does in the iPad 2) is faster than the Android CPU's running at 1.2 ghz. [/citation]
Your comparison of Apple's A5 chip to a no-name Android CPU is like comparing two vehicles both running 500 hp. Never mind that one is a SUV and the other is a sports car. They will have drastically different characteristics.

The A5 chip has a much larger GPU than Nvidia's Tegra2 A9 cortex chip. The A5 uses Texas Instruments PowerVR SGX543 GPU, which is better than Tegra2, which uses PowerVR SGX540 (an older design and larger lithography). Then you have to consider the other variances, such as which ARM processor chips are in what Android device.

Currently there are 5 ARM chips in mobile devices. Apple's A5, Nvidia's Tegra 2, Texas Instrument's OMAP 4460, Qualcomm's Snapdragon S3, and don't forget Samsung's Exynos 4210. Each processor has slightly different variations in design, such as Texas Instrument's ability to adjust each core speed separately, unlike Tegra 2.

Each runs their system differently, as each has different specification's of RAM. The iPhone 4S uses 512MB of RAM, but runs it at 1066 MHz, where most others use cheaper 533 MHz at 1GB capacity, but splits it into dual channel vs iPhones single channel.

Then you have to deal with the OS of each. Apple has their iOS optimized for 1 specification, and it works well. Android has to attempt to optimize with dozens or possibly hundreds of variations in hardware design. Any test run, shows vastly different results based upon the advantages in OS vs hardware design. I've seen Tegra2 chips crush A5 chips in synthetic tests, however real world results A5 tends to prevail.

Which is better? Well that's a personal choice. In the end, the consumers win with all this competition. That is unless Apple tries to sue the world for breathing (I'm pretty sure they tried to patent that too).

niems

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2011
1) Patent law in the US is an absolute joke

2) I'm yet to see someone at a gathering who whips out their smartphone to show me a benchmark of how fast their phone is. IF that does happen one day, I will personally shove said phone up one's ass.

3) Why are they still referring to "4G" as a feature? --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMT-Advanced

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Uberragen21[/nom]Your comparison of Apple's A5 chip to a no-name Android CPU is like comparing two vehicles both running 500 hp. Never mind that one is a SUV and the other is a sports car. They will have drastically different characteristics.The A5 chip has a much larger GPU than Nvidia's Tegra2 A9 cortex chip. The A5 uses Texas Instruments PowerVR SGX543 GPU, which is better than Tegra2, which uses PowerVR SGX540 (an older design and larger lithography). Then you have to consider the other variances, such as which ARM processor chips are in what Android device. Currently there are 5 ARM chips in mobile devices. Apple's A5, Nvidia's Tegra 2, Texas Instrument's OMAP 4460, Qualcomm's Snapdragon S3, and don't forget Samsung's Exynos 4210. Each processor has slightly different variations in design, such as Texas Instrument's ability to adjust each core speed separately, unlike Tegra 2. Each runs their system differently, as each has different specification's of RAM. The iPhone 4S uses 512MB of RAM, but runs it at 1066 MHz, where most others use cheaper 533 MHz at 1GB capacity, but splits it into dual channel vs iPhones single channel. Then you have to deal with the OS of each. Apple has their iOS optimized for 1 specification, and it works well. Android has to attempt to optimize with dozens or possibly hundreds of variations in hardware design. Any test run, shows vastly different results based upon the advantages in OS vs hardware design. I've seen Tegra2 chips crush A5 chips in synthetic tests, however real world results A5 tends to prevail. Which is better? Well that's a personal choice. In the end, the consumers win with all this competition. That is unless Apple tries to sue the world for breathing (I'm pretty sure they tried to patent that too).[/citation]

What you're saying here proves my point entirely. I was simplifying to educate a guy who thought that 1.2 ghz is always better than 1 ghz, by providing a counter example. Which Android chip it was that I was referring to is absolutely irrelevant, it proves the point that you can't necessarily judge by ghz. You have simply expanded on this my telling the original poster even more ways in which he was wrong, ie that there are way more factors to consider.

And the end conclusion is that the iPhone 4S with its CPU running at 800mhz could potentially beat an Android chip running at 1.2ghz. Add to that the GPU which is indisputably the fastest in any mobile device, and we can comfortably conclude that the iPhone 4S is the fastest. The fact that Apple can heavily optimise both the chip and iOS for each other further backs this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.