Droid Hack Controls Printers, Cameras, Others

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Am I the only one barely able to parse the language in this article? Worse. Sentence Structures. Ever.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
Linux.[citation][nom]Kevin Parrish[/nom]Hackers have devices of a USB cable that enables the Droid to control printers, cameras, and other Linux-based USB devices.

This means that the smartphone can directly connect and control printers, TV tuners, video cameras, and many other devices that speak [/citation]

The headline could be cleaned up a little. I would say: Hackers enabled the Droid to control printers, cameras, and other Linux-based USB devices.

I have another question: Do the devices have to run Linux themselves or do they simply have to be Linux compatible? I'm guessing it's the latter because I have never heard of mainstream printers that run Linux. I'm pretty sure that the devices only need to have a Linux driver available for them for them to work with Android. (Though they will probably have to be modified to work with Android.)

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]idisarmu[/nom]I have another question: Do the devices have to run Linux themselves or do they simply have to be Linux compatible? [/citation]
Most USB devices have support built into the Linux kernel. Sometimes you need to download drivers for, say, a printer or camera, but usually it's the Linux kernel's built-in hardware support doing all the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.