Droid Incredible Secretly Tracks Surfing Habits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

itpro

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Android secretly tracks your browsing habits? Hello! Android is Google! Of COURSE it tracks your browsing habits. That's what Google does.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]itpro[/nom]Android secretly tracks your browsing habits? Hello! Android is Google! Of COURSE it tracks your browsing habits. That's what Google does.[/citation]

As the article says, the problem is within HTC's sense UI, which isn't part of the 'stock' android OS that google ships.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Um I just checked my htc hero and it has bookmark.thumbs. You know why it doesnt delete it from the phone? Because its not stored on the phone its stored on your SD card.

G

Since the screen shots CAN be deleted, would you tell us how to do it, please

cacolaco

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
If you lost your wallet or purse, somebody could see your personal information!

I'm sorry, but I just hate it when every little bit of news gets blown out of proportion. Articles like this are just attention grabbing flame bait. Sure, give us the information, but don't make like this "is exactly why custom UIs are bad".

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
They ought to check who came up with this genius implementation and fire him/her and his/her manager on the spot.

And it's not like using your wallet or purse, since most consumers wouldn't know or even assume about this data being stored indefinitely.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Repelsteeltje[/nom]They ought to check who came up with this genius implementation and fire him/her and his/her manager on the spot.And it's not like using your wallet or purse, since most consumers wouldn't know or even assume about this data being stored indefinitely.[/citation]
You have obviously never done any computer development work. Bugs happen, it comes with the territory. If you want to fire every employee who codes something that has a bug in it AND their manager, better get used to doing everything in pen and paper.

Seesh, people these days! One minor thing (that doesn't get noticed until 8 months after the release of Sense UI, assuming the bug has been present sense day 1) and it's the end of the world.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Minor? That's not minor.[/citation]

[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]I ask kyeanna this:If apple was doing this would your response be the same?[/citation]

@etichi Yes. This isn't some sensitive data being passed around for everyone to see. This is having some pictures of websites that you visited stored on your phone? It's not like it is going to wait until you enter your SSN to take the snapshot, it's just going to grab a picture and cache it the first time you go to a website (i assume).

So if someone buys your phone after you wiped it, and knows exactally where to look, they can see some of the places you like to go on the web. Woop di do! Now if it was grabbing passwords / SSN's / credit card numbers, it would be a different story.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
i don't really understand how this bug could happen and why its resistant to a factory reset? definitly the strangest bug i've ever heard of. anyone have one stranger?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
what if one does a card format? did they try that? it's not specified in the article.
on my N1 i have the vanilla android, no custom UI. the best.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
This really doesn't surprise me. Chrome/Android is Google's first attempt at operating systems. People on the same plan using different phones and different numbers have had people they never called dialed up somehow. There are definitely some weird things happening on Droid phones that don't seem to have been realized or addressed. And every company tries to track people these days. Information is free money, all you have to do is record and sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.