DROP TEST: Will the iPhone 4 Survive? Not Really

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
This is why I buy cheap phones (even though I miss out on "features" like targeted advertising).

Nokia 3315 lasted 5 years. I would intentionally toss it onto concrete floors just to prove a point to people. The case would break but it was just a case of snapping it back on. Baby drool in the microphone killed it lol. Now I'm using a Nokia 6300, 2 years strong.

I also had a phone that I accidently dropped a 360 on. The screen cracked and was rendered useless.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]gtvr[/nom]"chemically strengthened alkali-aluminosilicate thin sheet glass"transparent aluminum anyone?[/citation]
Gorilla Glass. My Cowon S9 has the stuff, it's pretty awesome actually.
But why not just use aluminum oxide? Sapphire glass is something I want so bad on a phone. :(

The iPhone 4 seems extremely fragile to me now. Both my phone and PSPgo have taken some pretty nasty hits (slammed down into concrete, 10 foot fall onto stone, being in the same pocket as my keys etc.).

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
I had a Sanyo that was literally indestructible. You could throw it up into the air, many meters, and let it land on concrete. Yes is was all scratches and scuffed to hell, but it worked perfectly in every regard. Toughest phone I've ever owned.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
My father had one of the first Blackberry models (the grey and blue one) they would never break! It was drooped so many times and there were no scratches at all and one of his colleges had it go through a snow blower by accident and there not a scratch on it and it worked fine.

arcainumbro

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Everyone is missing the point. This was designed to break so in a month Apple can put out awesome numbers like "We shipped X number of iPhone 4's in the first 30 days". Doesn't mean that sold that many, just shipped them....cause a replacement phone is still shipping. :)

karm

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
That's crazy. I think i'll stick with my blackberry. My wife accidentally dropped her curve off our 10 story balcony (slipped out of her hand). It bounced off the patio on the ground level and landed in the grass. Amazingly it just had a small scuff on the side but still works as good as new.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
No signal wile being held in your hand, bans and yellow spots on screen because of rushed production, now one drop and replace at your own expense. Are we just seeing the tip of the iceberg?
Soon you'll know who the fruit followers are because they will be required to wear special apple approved aluminum beanies (with apple logo) to improve their reception.

IncinX

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
I have an older Samsung Katana flip phone. I have dropped this phone AT LEAST 100 times over the years and it is scuffed, it is scratched, it still WORKS!

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]karm[/nom]That's crazy. I think i'll stick with my blackberry. My wife accidentally dropped her curve off our 10 story balcony (slipped out of her hand). It bounced off the patio on the ground level and landed in the grass. Amazingly it just had a small scuff on the side but still works as good as new.[/citation]
The Blackberry's seem to be very durable.

G

So what? It breaks if you drop it four times onto a concrete pavement.

It's glass, guys. Glass. As glass as a... well.... glass?

Don't drop it - simple as that. If you ARE cack-handed, then ask yourself if a glass-fronted phone is right for you.

G

[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]Soon you'll know who the fruit followers are because they will be required to wear special apple approved aluminum beanies (with apple logo) to improve their reception.[/citation]

Leave my beanie alone. It's just magical!

G

You mean if I drop electronic equipment onto concrete, it will eventually break !?!? OMFG, hold the freakin' press !!!

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]jakeisback[/nom]You mean if I drop electronic equipment onto concrete, it will eventually break !?!? OMFG, hold the freakin' press !!![/citation]
The point is it breaks a lot faster than other phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.