DROP TEST: Will the iPhone 4 Survive? Not Really

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
I remember commenting on this phone on why anyone would want a phone with both front and back made of glass. I will never buy this phone.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Yeah what about those clumsy people? Most of these iPhone users are clumsy anyway. It's about time iPhone users start discovering what DROID DOES. I can tell you one thing DROID DOES that iPhone doesn't: Verizon.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Surprise surprise, they went with a harder glass and lo-and-behold it's ended up brittle. This shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone who's logged some hours doing material testing, which I would assume they'd have at least one at Apple. This and the whole antenna issue really bugs me about this new phone, it seems rushed and released with minimal testing.

Also, aluminosilicate glass is not Scotty's transparent aluminum. This stuff is a doped glass that's layered (like your windshield). The closest thing to transparent aluminum is aluminum oxide (known sapphire, ruby, corundum - the color is the result of impurities, pure is colorless), you can find it in some high end watches where it's used as a scratch-proof lens (with a Mohs of 9, not much can scratch it). However, it's not a magical invinci-glass either, it too is brittle and can shatter (as can diamond), harder doesn't always mean better.

tearlach2

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]Thats nothing, my mates chucked his Nokia NK702 on the back seat of his car and it bounced out a rear window at 70mph, he pulled over and found it my the side of the carriageway, the battery had broken off so he had to tape it bk on, worked fine for years lol[/citation]

THATS NOTHING My friend threw his iPhone 4 out of a moving airplane over the Grand Canyon and we used the GPS locate app to track the illegal alien who picked it up back to his drug den where there was a shootout with another gang and the phone was shot multiple times. The phone was still flawless but there was an odd smell on it.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

That would be the scent of bulls**t. :lol:

G

I was at my college with my original chocolate. I was doing minibaja which is like driving around in 4wheelers. My phone flew outta my pocket and skidded across the pavement prolly at around 15mph. had some scuffs on the back.. nothing on the screen tho and it worked fine.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I miss the days when you buy an expensive phone and don't have to spend more money on something to protect said phone from being destroyed.

You'd think if the phone was so fragile that they'd incorporate some padding/safety material into the design. Especially for the "special" Apple fanbois.

G

My Nokia E71 has been dropped may times and was completely submerged in the water once while I was giving my son his bath. A bag of rice and 12 hours later the E71 was back to normal.

lindylopezx3

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I have dropped my iPhone 4 multiple times.. much more than 4 times. I've had it since september 2010 and the first time that the screen ever shattered was in march 2011. i thought it would of been sooner since it is almost always in my hand, and i've very clumsy when it comes to cell phones. the guy that fixed my screen told me that the most common way that the iPhone 4 screen shatters is when it's in someones lap and they are getting out of the car. Depends on the angle and the ground it is hitting (cement, tile, etc). Obviously - this is why it took up to four times for the iPhone 4's screen to finally shatter in this video.

Also, I had to pay for the repair out of pocket since I am not under contract with any company. I have heard that Apple's warranty for the iPhone 4 does not cover shattered screens. It takes a great amount of purposely dropping it and deliberate intentions in day to day life to shatter the screen. I mean, really.. who is going to stand there, dropping it consecutively over and over? LOL

G

This is so not true. I have dropped my iphone 4 numerous numerous times. It does have a plastic shall case and screen protector, but nothing fancy. I almost drop it a small bit like everyday, whether from my lap or someone hitting my arm im holding it with. Ive dropped it on tile floors, ive dropped it on cement floors, ive dropped it on carpet. it still turns on, works fine, in fact not a scratch on my phone :) on the case and screen protector yes, but not the phone. So i dunno. to me its been great :) in fact my old treo seemed to get more scratched and beat up than my iphone 4 with just a slim case and screen guard on lol its really a pretty durable device I say. unless your like really unlucky :/

The i-phone is designed to break easily and also cannot handle moisture so we won't buy them here.

It's BB and HTC for us ... my Curve has survived numerous drops and falls and went into the sink once.

The i-pod died from water ingress after getting "splashed" lightly and the screens on the i-phone's are rubbish.

I have seen so many of these broken ...

Even the LG has a better screen and they are cheap ...

Status
Not open for further replies.