DROP TEST: Will the iPhone 4 Survive? Not Really

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I had a samsung phone that I dropped while shoveling snow in the driveway in December. In late March I found the phone after the snow melted. Plugged it in to charge (after letting it sit for 3 days to dry out) and bam, worked fine :) Too bad I replaced it in the meantime.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
best on i have is my friend at kenny wood was on the aero 360 and his htc mogel went flying out of his pocket and it still worked after he got off the ride

fixxxer07

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]Everyone know plastic scratches much easier than glass. If Apple would have chose platic because of your reason they would have been criticized for being cheap. Apple can't win against the Apple haters. No I don't own or want a iPhone or iPad but I do love my Macbook Pro.[/citation]

I dunno, since most phones are currently made of plastic, I don't think they would have caught too much flak. Of course they would have caught some, because, y'know, it's the internet. But between this and the antenna issues, it seems they engineered a beautiful glass phone that's meant to be hidden beneath plastic covers all the time. Which makes me scratch my head.

I remember my old Nokia 3586i... that thing fell out of my pocket at the top of a rollercoaster and survived. And I've probably dropped my iPhone 3G on pavement dozens of times. Which proves I'm a clutz, and should never be allowed to touch a 4G.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The video is a weird dimension because, as you can see, it was shot with another iPhone 4 being held in portrait position, so it recorded 90 degrees off of what we would consider "normal". Apparently the guy thought the dropping would be more aesthetic when viewed this way.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Why would someone not put their phone in some kind of protective case? I do not know anyone who has an iPhone without a case of some sort. Try this same drop test with any number of cases on the market. It will be more meaningful.

andyp363

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Awesome downgrade...
I once dropped my 3G from the 2nd floor, walking downstairs and my elbow hit a stud in the banister fell and hit the step then bounced down the the gap between the stairs right on to the concrete. Ran downstairs muttering s**t f**k and other obscenity's, but didn't even turn off.
Just clicked in the volume button corner back in and the only evidence was a couple scuffs on the back and the silver sides.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
It makes me wonder if they are constantly scanning everyone's phone to see what apps are installed and if you reinstalled the app after their removal of it, would it get removed again?

Hmmm...

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]Now that is WEIRD. My previous message was intended for a completely different thread. Glitch anyone?[/citation]
Yep.

G

Ok, so the Iphone 4 stands for 4 times before breaking?
they better get the Ipone 3000 out soon!

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Okay, this is just plain stupid. Try the same with any other smartphone and the screen is likely to break the same or even sooner. (It's not a myth that Gorilla glass is stronger, but it's still glass and somewhat brittle to enough force or impact. It amazes me that someone would buy the thing to actually destroy it.)

Cases for any phone are a good idea to prevent or reduce this problem. I think the glass backing is a risk, but most people baby their phones (i.e. cases) and it won't be any worse.

G

Having watched demonstrations of true Gorilla Glass, What i have seen in videos of the iPhone4 is NOT gorilla glass. i don't know if they cut corners during production, or what, but that stuff isn't it.... poor early adopters...

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
Bye, bye, iPhone 4!

Perfect summary and/or farewell to the disaster that was the iPhone 4.

Sad really. Apple screws up again... and i used to heard something about Apple making "things work"...(yea you got that right.. /sarcasm).

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I used to and still to this day drop my N95.. at times by mistake, but also at times deliberately cuz how laggy and slow it is at times... but guess what? this vid game me some motivation... that ... my phone isn't a cheap junk much like the iPhone 4.. hah

razercultmember1

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]Thats nothing, my mates chucked his Nokia NK702 on the back seat of his car and it bounced out a rear window at 70mph, he pulled over and found it my the side of the carriageway, the battery had broken off so he had to tape it bk on, worked fine for years lol[/citation]

Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.