Dropped Acer Aspire V5. Black Screen/No Display when Powered On, Unable to Shut Down

Apr 24, 2018
1
0
10
0
Hi all! Have searched through other threads, but haven't found this particular issue.

I dropped my Acer Aspire V5 and ever since I have had the following problem. 15% of the time, the laptop works without an issue. The other 85% it will turn on (Power & Battery LED lights on, fan on) but the display won't work/there is only a black screen. When this occurs, I cannot shut down the laptop; I have pressed and held the external power button but nothing happens. I have to unplug the computer, wait for the battery to drain, and then restart it and hope the display works.

Any advice on how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
 
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
 
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Laptop Tech Support 0
NeedHelpGuy Laptop Tech Support 0
G Laptop Tech Support 1
Silent_ Laptop Tech Support 0
M Laptop Tech Support 0
A Laptop Tech Support 0
F Laptop Tech Support 2
AG95 Laptop Tech Support 5
R Laptop Tech Support 4
J Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1
T Laptop Tech Support 3
J Laptop Tech Support 8
A Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 3
H Laptop Tech Support 5
MackArron Laptop Tech Support 5
A Laptop Tech Support 1
H Laptop Tech Support 4

ASK THE COMMUNITY