Dropped signals randomly while gaming.

Munkayz

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
I Am having issues with my connection. It has been going on for quite some time now and it's gotten to the point where I need to find a fix. I bought a Netgear Nighthawk x6 AC3200 Tri-Band
Wi-Fi Router recently to see if that'll fix the problem but I Am still getting dropped signals from time to time. Is there something that I need to turn on or turn off for it to not disconnect me from games while I Am playing them? I use an Xbox one by the way.I just don't like to be having to play a game and worry about if I'm going to be disconnected or not throughout it.

RoyalEF

Estimable
Apr 27, 2015

Doesn't your XBOX has 802.11bgn ? I think that is the common built-in wireless for xbox 360.

In that case newer routers won't help much. 802.11bg(2.4Ghz) is the worst choice for performance wireless. It provides long range, but it may fall apart when someone runs the microwave in your kitchen, uses the cordless phone in the house (2.4ghz, DSS, Dect6), run large motors or fans, and much more. 802.11bg is saturated with noise from your neighbors, your cell phone, etc. I'm always shocked when companies cheap out on wifi to save $10 on a single band chip. It shows they aren't terribly knowledgeable about network performance. Unless your router is located far away from the Xbox or you have thick walls, you will likely see an improvement by investing in a 802.11ac Ethernet Wireless Bridge. This device plugs into the Ethernet port on the XBOX. You then use a browser on the XBOX to configure the bridge to join your Wireless network. You can also configure it first with any PC/MAC with an Ethernet port. I've used Netgear Bridges for years to overcome cheap built-in wifi choices by manufacturers. I'm using one on a Samsung Smart TV. The built-in wireless couldn't handle BluRay streaming.

Some examples:
Linksys WUMC710, WD My Net AC Bridge, Buffalo AirStation AC1300

These devices will be able to make use of the faster and cleaner 802.11ac(5Ghz) bandwidth of the Nighthawk. That's the radio band all Apple products prefer for better performance.

TRENDING THREADS