dslr camera advice

rollingstones

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
hey guys! so i really need help on getting a camera. I need one that will be able to take very high quality videos, dslr, and still be under $1000.
Specifically I need the camera to:
- be good for someone new to cameras
- it must be gooooddddd quality- so dslr/hd
- it has to be capable of shooting great quality videos
- have a good mic
- be in my budget of under $1000

Please recommend brands, and advice for someone new to this scene! :) THANKS!!!

Solution
Just to build on what Andrei has already said,

All brands (within the same price range) are so simullar that its more about who will you want to stay with for the long run and less about the spec. For example, if you buy a Nikon camera now then you will obviously buy Nikon lenses. That means if you want to upgrade your body to a pro camera then you will have to consider that you have a whole tonne of Nikon lenses ("So why would I buy a Canon body").

There are a few subtle differences, however. Canon are a lot more restrained when they build their cameras. Believe it or not there is a point where Megapixels and focal lengths become a problem. Canon's cameras may seem lower spec than their Nikon counterparts but that is for a reason...

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
Canon usually has the best results in video performance in a <$1000 spectrum.
I'd recommend the Canon 70D & T5i. I myself use Nikon because I love the quality I get from my images (The canon is no slouch, but I feel like I'm getting more for my money). If you want Nikon I'd recommend the D7100 (Recommend this one alot) & D5300.

Lastly, It is all about preference... Go to a local camera shop and check out what they have (don't buy it there though, go to like Bhphotovideo). If you like the feel of the Canon go Canon, if you want Nikon go Nikon, and if you want Sony go Sony. I also like Nikon because they offer very good lenses at budget prices like the 50mm 1.8g/d, 35mm 1.8g, 70-300 etc.

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Just to build on what Andrei has already said,

All brands (within the same price range) are so simullar that its more about who will you want to stay with for the long run and less about the spec. For example, if you buy a Nikon camera now then you will obviously buy Nikon lenses. That means if you want to upgrade your body to a pro camera then you will have to consider that you have a whole tonne of Nikon lenses ("So why would I buy a Canon body").

There are a few subtle differences, however. Canon are a lot more restrained when they build their cameras. Believe it or not there is a point where Megapixels and focal lengths become a problem. Canon's cameras may seem lower spec than their Nikon counterparts but that is for a reason. Nikon crams all the megapixels they can into their sensors because they believe image quality, in terms of resolution and ppi is more important that functionality and ease of use. More megapixels means there is more chance of anti aliasing in the image and also much worse low light sensitivity because the more megapixels there are the more light is needed to light each pixel. So under controlled situations Nikon images can be a lot more crisp and detailed. However Canon cameras have less trouble taking their photos because there are less issues caused by a bloated sensor.

Now I am a bit of a Canon fanboy, I will admit it. However, i have no problem saying that Nikon cameras take fantastic images, especially portraits. I will re-iterate that ALL brands (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic) are very similar at this price range. Its about personal preference and your goal with photography or video going into the future.

My pick would be the Canon 60D or 70D.

Hope this helped a bit, i know i can sound a bit disjointed in some parts. Sorry :p

Solution