DT770 80 ohm without amp/dac?

breakbec

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Okay so I'm looking to buy headphones, never had any, + mic ofc
And I was thinking about the DT770 80 ohm, but I'm not sure if my motherboard can handle that or not. Do i need amp/dac/soundcard or whatever it's called, pretty new to this?
Because I can't afford dac/amp/soundcard
Motherboard is: msi z270 tomahawk

If I were to choose headphones + modmic + dac that'd be around 310euro and that I can't afford.

Would it be just best to buy the hyperx cloud 2 for 71euro or sennheiser headset or what should I do?

Solution
first: stop creating a whole bunch of new threads for the same question. you have this one thread, use it and wait for an answer patiently. multiple threads will be merged here or deleted.

--------------------------

how powerful is your onboard audio?

that question is often not an easy one to answer given actual output is generally not stated like it would be on a dedicated amplifier. taking a quick look at the motherboard in question it looks like the audio section is about average so i would assume output to be more mediocre and average than anything special. on average onboard audio can power easy to drive headphones good enough but may be found lacking for anything harder to drive.

modmic uni vs omni

the omni will pick up sound...

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from breakbec : "Headphone + modmic or headset?"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from breakbec : "What ohm can my motherboard handle?"

first: stop creating a whole bunch of new threads for the same question. you have this one thread, use it and wait for an answer patiently. multiple threads will be merged here or deleted.

--------------------------

how powerful is your onboard audio?

that question is often not an easy one to answer given actual output is generally not stated like it would be on a dedicated amplifier. taking a quick look at the motherboard in question it looks like the audio section is about average so i would assume output to be more mediocre and average than anything special. on average onboard audio can power easy to drive headphones good enough but may be found lacking for anything harder to drive.

modmic uni vs omni

the omni will pick up sound from every direction, the uni will pick up from one direction. if you have ambient room sounds the uni is what you want but the omni is a bit more sensitive i believe.

m50x

v-shaped signature, good bass levels without muddying treble too much, folding design, very small soundstage, fairly small earcups.

dt770

similar to m50x but better all around. v-shaped, strong treble and bass response, decent soundstage for closed can, big earcups. can be ran without an amp in some situations but for best bass and best sound at minimum a decent soundcard or cheap amp would be suggested.

373d

basically a new version of the 363d which is known for being bass light with decent soundstage. it is rather expensive so it is questionable as to if it is good value

game zero

similar to the 373d, it is bass light. this could be good for gaming for some advantage but if you want a more full sound and good bass levels it may not suit your tastes.

game one

based on the hd518/558 headphones. neutral sound signature with decent soundstage. a decent all rounder.

hyper x cloud

a decent choice for a budget headset but it really is nothing special when compared to headphones in the 100-200 euro class.

ad500x

not mentioned by you, but this is a well known bass light headphone with very large soundstage. quite popular for gaming but if you want that "fun" sounding audio with good bass this is not the can for you. it is however rather advantageous for things like fps gaming.

---

not sure what country you are from, but the dt770 or dt990 seem to average around 139,00eu and the modmic for around 66,00eu. that would be about 205,00eu for just those two. you should be able to find some form of amplifier or the creative z for 70,00eu or under.

the game zero looks to be around 200,00eu and the game one around 160,00eu. the hd518 around 100,00eu. not sure of country but i did see what looked like a sale on the hd598 on amazon fr for about 130,00. normally they go for 180,00-200,000 as at/senn products are generally expensive in europe.

the m50x looks to be around 160,00eu

the ad500x looks to be about 120,00eu.

i'm not intimately familiar with the eu market but beyerdynamic prices generally are cheaper than audiotechnica, akg, sennheiser and many other brands which makes them a little more easier to afford. why, i dont know.

if you want something which is easy to power then one of the choices by audiotechnica or sennheiser like the hd518/558/598, ad500x/700x or game one should be okay. you might not get the "best experience possible" with onboard but i am fairly confident they will at least work. the game zero should as well depending on model as one older model was a bit harder to drive but i believe the newer models are not. the hxc is not hard to power.

as far as amplifiers, on the cheap i generally recommend fiio products but on the eu market it is hard to find them. the creative z as mentioned earlier has a decent headphone amp included. otherwise there are certainly headphone amps in your market but you might need to do some research to find out what is good and what is not if you go that route.

Solution

breakbec

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

Okay sorry, but this question I didn't have on the other posts and wanted an answer.

Ugh it's so hard to decide... I want good bass but I also game like csgo where i need to know where people are... guess I can't get best of both worlds.
So it stands between the ad500x or dt770

I'm from sweden

On amazon the ad500x was on sale for 90 pounds, and the dt770 250 ohm costs 133 pound on amazon. And if I choose the dt770 I should get the 250 ohm or?
And if it really is better with something, is a DAC ok? And if so, is the FiiO e10K any decent? because it was very cheap on amazon instead of a swedish website
Or what is the difference between dac, amplifier and sound card?

the 3rd and 4th button on the bottom of posts are for editing. you can modify a post if you forgot to add something. also, posting a reply in a thread you have already made is another good idea.

there really is no "best of both worlds" honestly. headphone signatures can be generally classified in the following types:

bass light. good gaming advantage since you have excellent treb/mid response and bass doesnt cover it up. might not sound exciting.
neutral. good all rounder with the best true-to-recording sound. might not sound exciting to some.
bass heavy. often flabby bass and muddled mids. aka bass cannons. good for quantity of bass only.
v-shaped (treble/bass). exciting sounding. some gaming advantage lost due to bass.
v-shaped (mids). best for vocals and mid focused music.

ad500x/700x are completely different than the dt770 or dt990 (dont forget about the 990!).

the 500/700 are going to have some clean bass but not very much quantity. they will have good treble/mid response and sound very open and airy. this is why they are known as good gaming cans. they might not have as much fun-factor to them given the lack of bass but some actually like this sound.

the 770/990 are going to have a little less soundstage but still more than enough for gaming but have a more fun-factor to sound. they have enough bright crisp treble for gaming but the bass might make you lose out on some advantage.

keep in mind that when i say advantage, this does not mean that just owning a particular headphone will make you suck at the game. i have personally played with an m50 which has the smallest soundstage most popular headphones and have done well. most games have enough in-game cues to easily tell direction. think of advantage more of small little bits that might make you hear something other players might not. having a mouse with a dpi shift button (for sniping) is also advantage just like keyboards with macros might be advantage for mmo games. advantage can make you play better but you can certainly live without or even be more competitive and a better player not using them than someone who does. it is not an assured thing.

for the dt770 the 32 is easiest to drive but doesnt stand out, the 80 is the most bassy and will hit the hardest while the 250 has the most control over the drivers so is a bit more quality sounding.

a dac is only a digital-to-analog-converter. this converts from a digital type signal which your pc uses for processing and output to an analog signal universally needed for speakers to work. the output power rating is very low so this is not meant to hook directly to headphones or speakers without an amplifier.

an amp or amplifier takes an analog signal and boosts its output to drive speakers (well, technically to power drivers which exist in headphones, speakers, etc).

there are combination dac+amp units like the fiio e10k on the market as well as separates such as the schiit magni and modi. if you only want to boost volume, just adding an amplifier to the chain (pc->amp->headphones) is possible.

a soundcard is a dac + amp + software suite. generally the output level is meant more for pc speakers or average headphones but some like the z, stx, etc are meant for harder to drive headphones. a good headphone amp (like the magni) will of course be much more powerful but that does not mean soundcards are a bad choice. one benefit of a soundcard over an external dac+amp solution is that they can (depending on model) support virtual surround sound (whether you care or not is a different matter) as well as offering a higher quality mic input than onboard (again, if you care or not)

breakbec

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

First, thank you so much for answering this! Okay i've decided far enough that I want the dt770
BUT, I don't know if I want the DT770 250 ohm + fiieo 10k OOORR the dt770 80 ohm without dac+amp.
Of course I save money with the last one and I do need to save money, but if the 250 ohm + e10k is better I may choose that.
Because if I choose the dt770 80 ohm, and I will in the future afford the fiio e10k more, will it be unnessescary because it is only 80 ohm?

would like answer please :)

is virtual surround important to you?

if yes, perhaps use either just an amplifier or use the soundblaster z.
if no, the e10k should work for you

80 or 250?

i would say the 250 would be the better choice unless you wanted the most bassy model.

dac/amp for the 80?

yes, a dac/amp would certainly benefit the 80 not just the 250 model.

breakbec

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017

will the bass be too overpowering on the 80ohm? already a bit over my budget there so if i could skip the dac+amp that'd be great
but i also dont want the bass to be overpowering or like muddy

depends on your preferences as audio taste varies immensely.

they are certainly "bassy" headphones. more bass than neutral but less than bass cannons.

whether or not you find the amount of bass overpowering or great depends on what you like. i myself like the v-shaped signature on my m50's which is similar to the 770 but then again i like bass and listen to much music that appreciates good bass and treble response.

you can always buy the headphones first and get an amp later.

if you are truly worried about price and needing an amp, just get a pair of headphones known to work with most onboard fine. the neutral hd518/558/598 or the the bass light ad500x/700x. it is very rare that a device will not power either fine.

not going to respond to your pm since you have this thread here to use.

sending message because not sure you would answer in forum :)
this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nIty-kPSww
would i enjoy it more on the dt770 80 ohm or 250 ohm? again personal preference i understand but will i really feel the bass on 250ohm?
I love bass, just not when it's like "low" or something, if you can understand me. When the bass is all i can hear + its low, that i dont like.

again, i will reitterate what i said above. what YOU would enjoy more is a PERSONAL decision and is not something i can answer. i can state the characteristics of certain headphone models but it is up to you to make a decision on what you think fits you best.

i can state what i personally like but that may differ from your own opinion. i myself can listen to almost all music genres though what i cover most would be rock/hard-rock, pop/jpop/kpop, metal, electronica and traditional asian music. the speaker system i mostly use is fairly neutral but is known to have very bright and accurate treble. that combined with a slightly larger subwoofer gives a slightly v-shaped audio signature. the headphones i use are also v-shaped in signature. this signature really works well with things like dubstep and much electronica as it allows bass beats and drops to be impactful yet retaining the crispness and power of treble. some electronica like darudes sandstorm really focuses more on treble/mids so would sound most ideal on a neutral can. given how i like female fronted bands or female vocal electronica treble clarity is very important to me but i will not give up bass response to get it. either neutral or v-shaped would work for me. bass light or bass cannons would not.

ALL models of dt770 are bassy. some are just more so than others. any of them are decent. the bass might be a bit strong for people who do not like bass but might be a bit light for people who love bass cannons. it seems like you might like the bass levels of them but again, personal preference and it is hard to say.