DTS Headphone X Gaming headphones question

werner broedrich

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Hi all.

I have recently bought the TB 500X headphones for my XBOX one. They are awesome. And loving the surround sound it offers.

However -when you go to the DTS website and listen to the DTS X Headphone demo using the any old headphones, you get the surround sound emulation and sounds awesome too. Go on - Try it http://listen.dts.com/pages/headphone-x

SO - Why do companies like Turtle beach market these headphones (500x's) as DTS Surround Sound when ordinary ones work over a web page? What does the 500X do.

Is it that it does the conversion/emulation via its transmitter box? and that the sample video on the website is already mixed using this new emulation?

Sorry if this is a silly question - it just does'nt all fit together in my head :-s

Thanks in advance

virtual surround. most so-called surround sound headsets are actually just stereo headsets which fake the surround sound with software. basically it distorts the sound stream so that things sound like they are coming at you in 3d instead of the sounds coming from different speakers (drivers) inside the headphones.

its entirely possible to use ANY headphones to recreate this affect. in fact, using headphones is going to give you far better quality than using "gaming headsets" since they are designed for quality audio by companies which specialize in such things.

for the $229 spent on the tb 500x you could have better sound with separate headphones and a mic paired with a soundcard or amp. as far as i can tell, the 500x is completely virtual so really has no advantage at all.

dolby headphone is available on many asus soundcards, sbx/cmss3d is available on creative cards. razer virtual surround is available regardless of any hardware (though its not as good).

some people are saying dts headphone x is better than the virtual surround sound that is existing though i've not heard it so cannot say for sure. also, i do not believe it is used on any soundcard currently other than a few gaming headsets. i would not say its worthwhile to have dts-h-x and a gaming headset over say either a "good" headset from a reputable headphone company (sennheiser, beyerdynamic, audiotechnica) or headphones+mic paired up with an existing virtual surround option.

your call though. just thought i'd clarify.

werner broedrich

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Hi SSDSX - thaks for this answer - And I get that good quality headsets would be better - however the sound quality on the 500X's are really good and I watch movies with them and I am happy with them.

the biggest perk of these is that they are totally wireless for the Xbox live chat etc.

Thanks for your comments... helped clarify things alot :)