Dual Booting - Two Hard Drives

Mar 11, 2015
Hi,

So I have a Gigabyte laptop with Windows 10 as my current operating system. I would like to start having the option to boot up with Ubuntu.

I have Ubuntu installed on the USB drive.

Additionally, I have two hard drives in my laptop and I read that I would be safer to boot from seperate ones; is this true? Only one of them is SSD so I would prefer to be able to boot either Ubuntu or Windows from that hard drive.

Are there any precautions or can I simply plug in the usb, go to the BIOS menu setup, choose to boot up from the usb, install ubuntu (rather than continuing without installing) and then I should have ubuntu on my hard drive and good to go.

Am I missing anything? My data and everything will be safe ?

Thanks in advanced !

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I'd suggest using one partition for Windows, a second partition for Linux, and a third partition for sharing files. The third partition should be NTFS as Linux and Windows can perform read/write operations on it. This should solve most of your problems. Bear in mind, likewise, that Linux should have at least 2 partitions: / and swap. Usually it'll consist of more partitions, but for the moment we'll simplify things and pretend it's one partition.

Mar 11, 2015
Basically I would like to choose to boot up with Windows 10 or Ubuntu when I turn on the laptop, have my files saved and shared among both operating systems and of course the applications seperate.

itmoba

Estimable
Aug 14, 2015
I'd suggest using one partition for Windows, a second partition for Linux, and a third partition for sharing files. The third partition should be NTFS as Linux and Windows can perform read/write operations on it. This should solve most of your problems. Bear in mind, likewise, that Linux should have at least 2 partitions: / and swap. Usually it'll consist of more partitions, but for the moment we'll simplify things and pretend it's one partition.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
oathmark1 Apps General Discussion 5
W Apps General Discussion 2
Shula 7 Apps General Discussion 1
W Apps General Discussion 1
D Apps General Discussion 1
K Apps General Discussion 2
J Apps General Discussion 4
C Apps General Discussion 3
J Apps General Discussion 1
C Apps General Discussion 3
D Apps General Discussion 5