Dual monitor set up - no sound through external speakers

doghed

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
Hello,
i have a hp laptop(HDMI input) and a monitor from my old pc setup, a compaq q2009 monitor which only takes VGA input. I connected the two via a HDMI --> VGA converter and now i have a working dual monitor setup. Only problem is, i dont want sound coming out of my laptop speakers, which is why i have external logitech speakers, but whatever i do and however i connect them i cant get them to work. Any suggestions?

Solution
Connect speakers to the headphone jack.

That should automatically switch the audio between speakers and headphone output.

If that's not working there's a problem with the Realtek audio software, or you have a broken audio path out to the headphone jack.
Connect speakers to the headphone jack.

That should automatically switch the audio between speakers and headphone output.

If that's not working there's a problem with the Realtek audio software, or you have a broken audio path out to the headphone jack.

Solution

misskalypso

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
I had this issue, check and make sure your laptop is the default audio output though, like go to control panel, then sound, and see if the monitor is labeled default, if not then click your laptop and make it the default instead, thats what fixed mine