Dual monitor set up with 2 seperate sets of speakers.

Horlicks

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Hey,
I have recently purchased a 40'' tv for use in a dual set-up with my current monitor. I will be using the tv for movies and controller games and the monitor for the general pc and other games. They will be at opposite ends of the room so I want a seperate set of speakers for each screen. I can think of 3 possible solutions.

1. Some kind of audio switcher, to automatically disable the speakers I'm not using.
2. Somehow send the audio from PC to TV, then from TV to speaker set (I've heard you can loop audio into the GPU so it goes out through HDMI.
3. Generic splitter cable, this means I'll have to turn off the other set of speakers each time. I'm hoping this won't split the signal into L and R.

Which method is the easiest and cheapest to do?

Bonus question: What are some good 2.1 speakers for less than £100? Cheaper is better, for movies and gaming.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
each television has an audio input of course.
but
check to see if the television has an audio output for external speakers.
if there is no audio output on the television.. then you need to connect the speakers to whatever device is being used with the television.

a receiver for each television would work.
or
a pair of amplified speakers with an auxilery input would also work.

do you want surround sound for each television or only stereo?
if you are connecting both monitors to one computer.. i dont see how you are going to be watching a movie on one and playing a video game on another.
you would have to disable the buttons for the video player to press the buttons on the video game.
otherwise the menu is going to keep showing up whenever you move the mouse or press a key on the keyboard.

if you think things through, you'll need to decide what activity on which screen.. then you know what audio is required.
once you know what audio is required, then you know if the audio is going to come from the computer or from an external piece of hardware.

maybe you should simply get a second soundcard.. that way you can associate everything on one monitor to one soundcard, then associate everything on the second monitor to the second audio card.
that leaves you with two audio outputs (one for each monitor)

if you use a receiver or self-amplified speakers.. that is totally up to you.

Horlicks

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks for the reply.

I will not be using both monitors at the same time generally. I just want a large television for gaming and movies so I can sit on my sofa, and a smaller monitor for general internet stuff where I need to be at my desk. So I will only need audio coming from one television side at one. I just need the best way to figure out how to split the signal or send the signal to the television. I only have a basic sound card with multi coloured surround outs, a SPDIF out, and an unlabeled orange jack. Currently I am using the green out. I suppose I could just swap the jacks around whenever I want to switch but it's a hassle.

I want a 2.1 set up for both. Remember, if I'm playing a game or watching a movie with the PC, the sound is going to come from there, so it's not as simple as plugging speakers in the television.

since you plan on using one 2.1 set for your television and one 2.1 set with your computer having only one in use at any given time the cheapest and most obvious solution is not a splitter but a switcher.

if you search google you will see that there are in fact 3.5mm switches on the market. you could also just as easily make one. with a simple flick of a switch you are using an entirely different set of speakers.

-----

if you are worried about all the wires...

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/promedia-2-1-wireless-specifications/

wireless speakers are an option.. but it might complicate your setup. i know that usb to 3.5mm conversions exist but i have never used one and do not know if they work. once at the 3.5mm stage you can use a switch just like you would with a wired device (at least thats what i'm hoping is the case). in any case... worth a look into if you are worried about wires on the far side.

as for klipsch speakers... i had a pair of the wired version. quite a nice set but i ended up returning them. i now have a full 5.1 set of klipsch instead (so yeah i upgraded)

Horlicks

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

I have been looking for those Klipsch speakers for some time now and they're practically unpurchasable in the UK.

I have almost decided on an Aego M set.

The switcher thing is interesting, I tried googling but all I found was 3.5mm splitters.

anwaypasible

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
an A/B switch is certainly easier than reaching behind the computer.. and it will save the output jack on the soundcard from growing loose and becoming problematic.

i remember back in the 1990's an A/B switch was easy to find.
they even had more than one option available at the same store.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=3.5mm+switch&aq=f&aqi=g5g-m3g-b2&aql=&oq=

3.5mm switches and even a DIY guide came up. might take a little bit of searching and changing search terms to get exactly what you want but i'm thinking this is the way to go.
---

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/where-to-buy/default.aspx

maybe there is a dealer near you who can get them (if you really wanted them). i dont know your town so i couldnt get anything more specific.

it most likely wouldnt be worth importing them internationally. they are good but NOT worth any taxes, tariffs and whatnot as well as the high shipping rates.

Horlicks

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010

I am in UK. They are nowhere to be found.

Horlicks

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Thanks for the help.

It turns out that the HDMI/DVI connection on my TV actually allows audio transfer over the cable, so it was just a matter of plugging the speakers directly into the TV

The AEGO M speakers I got are really great for the price.

Thanks again.