Duracell Now Guarantees 10 Years of Power Storage in Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Let me guess. All this means is that the batteries can sit on the store shelves for 10 years. The batteries store almost exactly the same amount of power as before but it's just that the amount of power that constantly leaks is much less.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Duracell said that the average household has about 20 devices that rely on batteries.

True, but all of them are rechargeable EXCEPT the iMac's mouse and keyboard.
And for that I use Energizer thank you very much.

Well it's not like I use my iMac at all so I can't blame the batteries for being at 68% since I got it almost two months ago.

aftcomet

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]True, but all of them are rechargeable EXCEPT the iMac's mouse and keyboard.And for that I use Energizer thank you very much.Well it's not like I use my iMac at all so I can't blame the batteries for being at 68% since I got it almost two months ago.[/citation]

The problem here is you bought a Mac in the first place.

pliskin1

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Why would you leave a battery laying around for 10 years before using it..? I do see it being useful in rechargeables though.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]The problem here is you bought a Mac in the first place.[/citation]

Oh quit being biased, owning 10 computer is fun and all but it starts to get pretty freaking boring when there's no real difference between the user experience (Except for my Linux machines and Windows 8 HTPC).

It doesn't hurt to try something new, that's what someone in the IT industry needs to be able to do.

hairystuff

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]Why would you leave a battery laying around for 10 years before using it..? I do see it being useful in rechargeables though.[/citation]

You may want to keep them in an emergency torch, medical equipment, communication device, distress beacon or wherevere you need reliable power in a tight spot.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I find that hard to believe. How much gold did they put in each battery?[/citation]

.000000001 milligrams divided by 1

seriously though this reminds me of beauty products when they used to (some probably still do) put claims that they contains (insert name or letter) of whatever vitamin etc... even though the actual amount was so insignificantly small that it wouldn't (it couldn't) have ANY benefits whatsoever.

I think that the same thing is happening here.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Cool, I just dropped off a set of 4 Eveready rechargeables at a recycle center that sucked, wouldn't keep a charge. My Duracell rechargeables work great. You can guess which brand I will not buy again.

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]pliskin1[/nom]Why would you leave a battery laying around for 10 years before using it..? I do see it being useful in rechargeables though.[/citation]
Just think of receivers, and very low power standalone devices that could get a near 10 years maintenance free time...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Why would they use more gold than is actually needed for the process to work? Just so they can advertise "The Duracell one pounder batteriy' now at Sears. After all, Gold is heavy :)

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
If I were interviewing for a CEO position with Duracell, I would use this quote:

"We know that consumers typically don’t spend a large amount of time thinking about batteries,” said Volker Kuhn, general manager for Duracell North America, in a prepared statement

That's interesting. Especially given that the mobile computing evolution and renewable clean energy evolution in the motor industry are surely thinking a lot about them. Not to mention every nation in the world who has spent the last 100 years fighting for oil resources. Countless scientists throughout the world researching the effects of global warming caused by countless motor vehicles burning gasoline.

Batteries are the key to the next hundred or so years of the world. Consumers are absorbed with battery technology. Hoping that their smartphones stop growing in size to make room for their batteries. Hoping that their laptops last more than a few hours, hoping that their cars can operate exclusively on electric power without 2 tons of batteries in them.

There isn't a person in the world who wouldn't give their right arm for a new type of battery technology other than our plain old lithium ion stuff.

Any batter company should see this as an opportunity of a lifetime.. not only a lifetime.. but of a millennium. I'm glad that they found a way to put gold in their batteries. Now let's put some R&D muscle behind duracell and start pushing the brand as the top innovator in these challenging and tough times. Make commercials, tell the world how you plan to change battery technology and how you're leading R&D.

Come one. You're the CEO. Stop acting like no one cares about your product and that there's no growth potential. "Oh we just make this and that, not important stuff."

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
So let's say the batteries stop charging after say, 7 years. You most likely need to submit for an RMA request, pay for shipping, and wait a month to get new batteries. I think they are banking on you just not caring (or forgetting) and buying new batteries. Seems more marketing oriented than practical.

juanc

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
If I was going to be on a spaceship... then I would use such batteries. If not... why wasting more materials, making more chemical processes, to create a battery that will be on a device for a limited time and then disposed?

G

Gold as fuel? I thought gold was extremely unreactive.

Gold as a conductor i can understand, but don't see how this would increase shelf life. And if thats the case, silver is a better conductor and 1/100th the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.