todlo2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
I bought a new PC and have been reorganizing my room. While doing this, I moved my TV and DVD player. I just hooked them back up and can't get the sound working. The funny thing is, I have everything hooked up the same way as before and it used to work. It is just a TV/DVD set up, nothing special. The DVD player is a Toshiba SD-5970 and the TV is a Sony KV-24FS120.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
You can try a few simple things, unplug and re-plugin the cables, try wigglinging the cables. You probably have the cheap cables that came with the DVD player. Go to Radio Shack and buy some decent cables, they don't cost alot but they sure don't break like the crappy cables that you get with your DVD player. I suggest you get SVHS cable for video and buy some decent RCA type cables for audio.

I find that the cheap cables have a tendancy to break inside around where the solid plastic peice where it meets the flexible wire, so you don't get any signal.

I learned many years ago to avoid these crappy RCA type cables and buy at least some Radio Shack or the inexpensive Monster Cable. I'm not a type of guy who goes out spends 100-1000 dollars on cables, I spend 5-10 bucks. Maybe 5-10 bucks might seem alot but they are so much better then the cables you get with that new stereo/DVD/VCR and etc.

Did you check if you have mute on! hehe.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

todlo2

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2005
Thanks for the help. Well it looks like it was the cables. I went and got some new ones and it works fine now. I guess unplugging them and moving stuff around damaged them somehow.

Oh and I did check to see if mute was on :p I would feel rather stupid if that was the problem.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I'm glad you solved the problem. I hope you went out and bought some decent cables. I'm kinda of an audophile( not really expensize equipment) but I change the various pieces so those cheap cables you get with a new DVD player, stereo and/or etc are crap.

Like the inexpensive Monster Cable or even the good Radio Shack cables are so much better then the ones that are included in your new piece of equipment.

I buy my stuff used so they won't come with the cables, so I just buy some good quailty but I don't spend alot of money on cables. Like for example, I will goto my local hardware store and buy some 12 guage wire for my speakers. Even what they call 'lampcord' which is 18 guage is fine for most speakers.

Those typical plastic RCA type cables just dont last very long, so I hope you went out and bought some decent cables. You will save money in the long run if you like me, you move stuff around and/or change out components.

Don't feel stupid about the mute thing( I got used to ask simple questions after awhile). I used to manage a audio/visual/movie rental place. We sold low to mid-end semi high-end audio stereo, TV, video cameras and rented movies.

Some of the customers were ignorant or just stupid. I had a lady come in she was probably 75, a very nice lady and itelligent. But this is like 1986 and VCRs were still a new thing for people.

So after 45 minutes she bought the VCR, she telephones and asks me " Do a need a movie screen or can I just project this on the wall?"

Next stupid question. I sell a VCR to this guy and he can't figure out why it isnt working, so I go through the process of did you hook it up correctly and etc. I must of spent 30 minutes on the phone with this guy. Then my brain clicks in, I ask him " Did you plug it in?" No, he didnt even plug it in to the wall socket for power.

Ok, last stupid person and call I got.

A guy comes in and buys a VCR, so he calls awhile later.
He says to me "I just bought this VCR from you and I'm not getting any color."

So I go through process to make sure eventhing is hooked up correctly. Nothing works he is still getting Black and White, no color.

So, I ask him what kind of TV he has and "He says I have a Black and White TV.' I said" You can't get color out of a VCR with a B&W TV. THe positive thing he came in later and I sold him a color TV.hehe

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: