sam_son83

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Hi all,

I have just hooked up my PC to my TV with a DVI - HDMI cable and i can get the picture nice on the tv using two screens but the audio is only playing through my computer speakers....any ideas how i can output the audio on my TV???

Kind regards

Samuel

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

The DVI to HDMI cable will only carry the video signal. Most TVs have a HDMI that will be labels "HDMI/DVI" and have RCA audio inputs next to it. Use a mini-to-RCA audio cable to make the audio connection between your computer and TV.

If you need more info post the Make and Model of your TV, and I can give you less general instructions

Casey

sam_son83

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Hi Casey,

Thanks for your quick reply, i appreciate it.
I had a look at the back of my TV but couldn't seem to see he RCA inputs, i did however find a hdmi port which says 'HDMI/DVI' below is the make and model of my TV, i cant seem to find out if it has RCA inputs or not.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32LH3000-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B001UHMT4C/ref=pd_ts_zgc_ce_560864_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=152913047&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=560858&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=19Z2KNY1VPTABX255893

Kind regards

Samuel

sam_son83

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
Sorry, i just had another look at the back of the tv and found what i think is the connector you are talking about. I have uploaded a picture if you could check for me.
If this is the connector i am looking for then do i just buy the adapter and run it from my PC soundcard up to the tv and it will output the audio or will i need to make a lot of changes in the soundcard settings?

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/4635/cimg5106.jpg

Kind regards

Samuel

sam_son83

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I have a Geforce 8600 GTS, i know some graphics card have ability to output sound via the DVI - HDMI but from what i found this was just some ATI ones but i could be wrong.
Also i think i used one of the above talked about leads to connect an ipod to my speakers once and just want to check that the signal can be send the other way (from soundcard to tv)

Regards

Samuel

fuegodecosta

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I have a Geforce 8600 GTS, i know some graphics card have ability to output sound via the DVI - HDMI but from what i found this was just some ATI ones but i could be wrong.

A lot of the newer mid - upper range nVidia Cards have audio pass-through support for DVI => HDMI connections via a small spdif cable that connects from your sound card to the video card. A few will even come with the adapter and cable to do this. Unfortunately it looks like your card does not support this setup and will only send video. As stated above, you will need a 3.5mm => RCA cable to get audio.

casey_souder

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Samuel,

Sorry for the slow responce, I had to work all weekend at a trade show.

I looked at the pic and you would use the audio connection label "Audio In RGB/DVI", but your TV uses a 3.5mm audio connection, instead of RCAs. Get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable instead of a 3.5mm to RCA cable.

Casey