EA Asks: Do We Need Another Console Generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ananthu123

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
PC users get poor console ports cause of the consoles. PC's are capable of more, so why should they be hampered by console hardware?

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Nope. Lets just stay stagnant in technology. Do we need AMDs Bulldozer? Do we need SSDs? Or the HD7000 series?

Hell we didn't even need Sandy Bridge or 22nm.

All we need is a 386 with 4KB of system RAM.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
EA Asks: Do We Need Another Console Generation?

From one side, no. From the other side, if we are ever to hope that the game developers will get their heads out of their a$$es and start developing games with better graphics, gameplay and storyline than the current stuff we get, we need something more powerful than these obsolete garbages.

So maybe we do, after all. It is painful to see great games delayed to implement unnecessary console BS (Kinect in ME3) or being dumbed down graphically (again, ME series).

Consoles were great long time ago, when they could give any PC, save the most powerful, a run for their money. That era has come to an end and the next generation of consoles won't manage to keep up with desktop PCs anymore.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
As it stands now, developers still haven't utilized the full potential of the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 – they haven't squeezed the last ounce of hardware horsepower from either platform.

Then why the crappy graphics, lol? I was shocked to see MS say that "Xbox 360 is still in the middle of its working cycle and will be there till 2015" - that way even the console gamers will give up on it.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Considering how AWFUL Madden 12 is, I think EA needs a new console for an EXCUSE for their crappy developing skills for an NFL game that they have an exclusive license for...

G

And that coming from a company wich need to cap one of their shooters game in consoles at 60fps lol

G

I guess I'll just throw away my Radeon HD 6870 and replace it with a GeForce 7000 series card now =/

cirdecus

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
His opinion is closed minded. Sony and Microsoft have been pushing the console wars using technological advances only. They're forgetting the entire point of the systems and that is to have fun.

Sure, we may be hitting a plateau in terms of number of polys, HD picture, and sheer hardware power and graphics.. but there's a HUGE potential in innovation, particularly the road that Nintendo has been taking the great part of the decade. There's a reason why the Wii is soundly inferior in terms of hardware and technology but still able to outsell both Sony and Microsoft hands down.

It's because Nintendo saw the forest through the trees. They realized that innovation and revolution wasn't going to come by following the beaten hardware improvement path.

The Wii remote and Kinect are only the beginning. To stay competitive, companies are going to have to devert from the easy hardware battles and start coming up with new ways for users to play games. To interact with their games with their friends.

Look at Apple. They didn't revolutionize the smartphone market with a 10GHz processor, 20MP camera did they? No. They did it with a new idea.

There's better ways to use this hardware... lets hope they can find them.

TheGuardian

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
What an idiot, the displays are 1080p but how many games are actually rendered in 1080p on consoles? IMO compared to what PCs can do, even games ported to the PC from consoles look much better on PC...this guy has no idea what gamers want...

AerieC

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
You could make it faster, you could have more polys and you could up the graphics a little bit... but at what cost?

Isn't that pretty much what every console generation has done since the beginning? Sure, there have been other additions like internet, dvd players, etc., but those are secondary functions.

Consoles have always been (and always will be) slightly cheaper, proprietary computers that are a generation behind in tech.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
His ulterior motive is that it will be more expensive to develop for new consoles with higher technical abilities.

In reality he has no say in this anyways. If a console is released that is twice as powerful as the previous generations, all manufacturers need an answer to that.

eg: Wii-U forces Sony and Microsoft to release new consoles.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Then why the crappy graphics, lol? I was shocked to see MS say that "Xbox 360 is still in the middle of its working cycle and will be there till 2015" - that way even the console gamers will give up on it.[/citation]

The 360 does not have crappy graphics. It has outstanding DirectX 9 graphics. YOu can't compare a DX9 machine to current DX11 PC hardware.

So far as the Xbox 360 is concerned, and the PS3, neither of them have reached full potential. But that's because developers have mainly created games that can be ported across multiple systems, as as such, must hold back on delivering full-featured games.

First-party exclusive console games generally are amazing and beautiful on the consoles, because they are built for the specific consoles.

EA is a port-a-holic developer. They never cater to a specific console. They spread their crap across everything that has a circuit board in it and water it down like crazy.

dericmenard

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Don't read forward if you have no sense of humor/easily offended.

If everyone listened to guys like him, we'd all be playing Golden Eye 007 on N64 and our modern graphics cards would be the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

For example, I saw how COD:BO looks on console: low frames per second, poor excuse for graphics and the game play is an absolute joke compared to my sandy bridge setup. If he wants to hold on to old technology, have fun dinosaur.

bigcatface

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
boohoo! the obvious solution for moany PC users is to not compulsively buy every iteration of hardware.
don't spend thousands on a PC that you will never use!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I find this hard to believe when so many others like myself are making the move from console gaming to PC gaming due to better graphics, more capable hardware and an overall better experience

Riv4L

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Yes please update the console generation, as uttered in previous comments the advancement of the PC gaming industry is hampered with the tech in consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.