EA Asks: Do We Need Another Console Generation?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]How much did you pay for that beast, compared to a PS3 @ full price of $600 5 years ago. Yes you have a higher resolution but does that really matter if the game's graphics are based on the consoles anyway. Fallout 3 will look basically the same on your beast rig as is does on a crappy 360. I could build a $100000 PC but if the games are going to ports for the next 3-4 years does it really matter?[/citation]

Fallout 3 might (don't know, never played), but a ton of other games won't. They'll look MUCH better on the PC. His rig is overkill, clearly, but it'll probably last him another 4-5 years @ max quality. You can have the same quality for 1-3 years for less than $1000, and I think it's a worthy investment.

sticks435

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]How much did you pay for that beast, compared to a PS3 @ full price of $600 5 years ago. Yes you have a higher resolution but does that really matter if the game's graphics are based on the consoles anyway. Fallout 3 will look basically the same on your beast rig as is does on a crappy 360. I could build a $100000 PC but if the games are going to ports for the next 3-4 years does it really matter?[/citation]

Please educate yourself on how PC's and PC games work (Bethesda games in particular) before you make a dumb comment like this. Fallout 3 will look nothing like the PS3 version because we PC owners can mod the shit out of our games with much higher resolution textures(up to 400x the res of consoles) and unofficial patches to fix issues that the dev's no longer care about after 6 months or a year.

monger923

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Here's the thing, console makers (Microsoft, Sony) lose money on console development and sales. They make money on software. So as long as they are making money, there is no reason to come out with a new console. They will hold out as long as possible before making a new console. It's all about the money. I hope more and more people jump ship and get a decent gaming PC in the future to be honest.

dontcrosthestreams

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
just purchased far cry 2 for 5$ on steam. playing at res of 5040x1050 with ultra graphics. (955be @ 3.8/ 6950 2gb @880) the game stuttered and had load issues back when i had it on my 3rd xbox 360. (microsoft nor best buy replaced any of em, all died under 10 months) now its amazing looking even though its 3 years old. go play fear 2 on 360 and you will vomit it looks so bad.....

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
So, this dude says that developers haven't reach the full potential of Crapsoles. Then where does this leave PC gamers. We should see State of the Art games with graphics far superior then the crapsoles. Since the X-snot 360 is over 6 years old now. Man, do we PC gamers with state of the art gaming rigs got a good hose. All we get is old crapsoles to PC games. Developers are too damn lazy to make a great PC game that would show the true age of the crapsoles.

G

Game console have a hardware abstraction layer, just like PCs. The X in Xbox stand for DirectX

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
XBOX & PLAYSTATION need new hardware, because services like Onlive may steal the show if internet connection speeds keep increasing. Right now Onlive is entertaining, but you get the occasional lag that interrupts your gameplay. If internet speeds increase and that lag goes away, 720p graphics with no annual fee will start to sound like a better deal. The only thing they are missing is streaming movies.

They have a console for less than $100 and it is available on PC, Mac, and hopefully Linux in the near future. No load times, no chance of damaging a DVD or BluRay Disc, and I even heard they will be releasing an App for iPhone/iPad and Android devices, so you could have access to your games anywhere that has a decent internet connection.

Personally, I don't buy new games with Onlive, but they have $5 Fridays where they offer decent games at a discount.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Just bring on the PS4 and Xbox 720 already. The graphics hardware has peaked in both systems about 2 years back. It's time for a new console gen. I'm ready for another system.

cohetedor

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
Just thought I'd chime in on those calling for super high frame rates, It's not going to happen anytime soon. Consoles are meant to be played on TVs, not monitors, and regardless of what you see advertised 120hz/240hz the maximum input refresh rate for a 2D image is still locked at 1080P/60hz on even the top of the line models. The refresh rate increase is done in the panel.

The next gen is coming, specs may have even been decided on already, they are just waiting for said hardware that runs cool enough and quiet in a small enclosure. Like the Wii U rumored graphics card, it's said to be two generations old but it will be manufactured on current die sizes so it should run significantly cooler while drawing a fraction of the power. Not many people would tolerate a full ATX case with 3+ fans blowing in their living room.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Dude obviously don't have a fucking clue. I can't even stand to turn on my ps3 or xbox....I have to play games on the pc as they are released....Give me new consoles now!

3lackdeath

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
I for one think he has a point, Game developers need to start focusing on good GAME PLAY and Proper STORY LINES, Not saying that we don't need better graphics.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
The biggest things is graphics. Yes, the graphics were outstanding even up until 2009 for a console. But they are starting to look heavily dated and the memory and specs is ancient and noticeable especially when loading the textures during multiplayer. Modern day cards are 4-6 times more powerful on every level than whats in most of these systems. The CPU's are fairly advanced for there time and hold up pretty well even today. Maybe dropping a Quad, Hex, or Octo Core with multi-threading would suffice and a 1TB HDD for streaming content.

Graphics will always push consoles unless they figure out a way to swap them out for a fairly cheap $50 price which I doubt they could do.

iinlane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]if we are ever to hope that the game developers will get their heads out of their a$$es and start developing games with better graphics, gameplay and storyline than the current stuff we get, we need something more powerful than these obsolete garbages.[/citation]

Have you ever created anything original? Have you ever created anything at all?

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I like pc and console games. For those people saying consoles slow down innovation, I'll remind you of the volumes of people still playing starcraft 1,Wo, farmville... on the PC.

phantomferrari

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
This has to be one of the dumbest statements ive ever heard coming out of someone from EA's mouth. 1st, he says we already have 1080P displays, that is true but we have no games that run at 1080P because the hardware cant do it without choking!!!!!! show me any game that runs natively at 1080P and ill give you a million dollars.

he really is trying to downplay the graphics part by saying "upgrade the graphics a little bit" just a little bit? there is at least 4-5 generations of GPU difference between the xbox 360 and what we have now. even a low level current gpu would crush the xbox 360 in terms of graphics. there is also a neat little thing we could do with better hardware. oh i dont know, its something called more realistic physics! if you had more power in the xbox we could do more realistic physics which would do wonders for some games

the line that developers havent reached the full potential of the xbox and playstation is a crock of shit (pardon me) the xbox has been around for 6 years! if you cant figure out how to tap the resources of something that hasnt changed really at all in 6 years you are simply a lazy programmer. programmers have gotten lazier and lazier over the years. think about it, there was a time that when you developed a game you had to make sure it was as good as you could get it because there were no downloaded updates to fix the bugs. nowadays it seems games are half finished when they are released then the updates come out. i understand its harder to program now then it was then but it seems like they just take no pride in their work because they can always fix it later if they need to.

customers are not banging their heads against a wall for a new generation because most of them dont know any better. show someone crysis (not crysis 2) on a pc with the ultra mods or even ARMA 2 and they will see what more advanced gaming hardware can do. dont mean to sound elitist but most console players have never even seen a pc running a game with astounding graphics. if all you have even had is water to drink your entire life and then you saw someone drinking a coke wouldnt you then want to try that?

the bottom line is most game developers and publishers have gotten lazy because they have had the same system for years which they do know how to program for and dont want to invest money or time into designing for a new platform. i understand that its not effective to come out with a new console every few years so maybe microsoft and sony should over provision their next gen systems so when we get to the 6-7 year mark the consoles arent so long in the tooth

Status
Not open for further replies.