EA Hops Aboard Crowd-Funding, Offers 3 Months Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

cell55

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
EA is just trying to bite off of STEAM.. they are too late out of the gate for that.. STEAM is great.. and Origin sucks.. i hope to see wasteland 2 a steam exclusive instead of EA having any involvement.. STEAM, VALVE came from pretty much nothing.. half life was great but counter-strike made them.. so im sure they'd have a softspot for games like Wasteland 2.. EA just offering incentives because nobody wants to deal with the worst company ever..

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Not even EA is silly enough to believe they are supporting crowd-funding. This is a desperate attempt to siphon off a bit of the momentum for itself(and its DOA Origin).

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Any indie developers will gladly accept a huge help like this.

I got games on steam, origin, d2d, games for windows and GOG. so it doesn't really matter for me which distribution service is ends up on as long i can find it on the cheapest distributor. Competition breeds innovation.

You should read this:
http://www.toptiertactics.com/2011/11/origins-of-misunderstanding-is-eas-storefront-so-evil/

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Why is it we've been forced to use Origin for over a year and it's still a Beta product? Even says so in the title bar?

Is it because they don't want to commit to actually having to support it?

shinmalothar

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
I remember when Half-life 2 was released and valve used the opportunity to force steam on everyone...sound familiar?

Stop whining and deal with it!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
so... let me get this straight...

ea is giveing 90 days of free publishing...

EVERYONE LISTEN

can we dig a bit deeper into this. because the kick start games already give you a free copy... does that mean that that for 90 days they dont take a cut of the sale price... if so... this is really hard to argue against... it may be a worse platform... but if the keys can register with steam, buy it on origin, and put the keys into steam... as it would be better for the developers, at least with the innitial 90 days.

this is actualy a fairly good move on their part.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]What, more Origin hate? Lame. I use Origin (was forced to do so because of ME3) and I don't have a problem with it.[/citation]
I'm not a fan, but I'm forced to use it for BF3. And here's why it sucks...

I'm forced to open Origin to launch BF3, but it doesn't launch BF3. It launches my web browser to take me to a BF3 website where I can check my stats, do a few other things and load the campaign or load multiplayer game.
So, in the end, I need to execute a program, to execute a program, to execute my game. Seriously??!!??

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]but if the keys can register with steam, buy it on origin, and put the keys into steam.[/citation]

The codes you get to register on Steam are codes that only work on Steam. Origin won't sell you those codes. If you want your games all via Steam them skip Origin.

This is a smart move for EA as it encourages new indie titles to use their distribution service. Some may even use Origin exclusively for a while to maximize that 100% sale return.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Love all the hate Origin but don't know why statements lol

I love steam and I have no problem with Origin. Actually Origins UI is a bit more clean and sleek IMO. If Origin wasn't EA would you all still have the hate for it?

gibs0

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Why is it we've been forced to use Origin for over a year and it's still a Beta product? Even says so in the title bar?Is it because they don't want to commit to actually having to support it?[/citation]

Oh look, someone who ignores the fact that Steam was a beta for years and years and was far, far, far, far, far worse than Origin for the longest time.

Get your head out of the sand.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I don't really root for any but I don't have Origin installed on my computer either (since no game I own requires it) but competition is always good. If Valve was to someday change its tune I think I would like to know there is an alternative out there that could match the service that I'm being given today, wouldn't you? And with something like EA's offer it must might help Origin get up there in the future and EA might someday change their tune too so you never know.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I use Origin for BF3 because I have to but will never buy another game on it. Steam is great EA and origin can GTFO. I hope Activision doesn't come out with some other craptastic distribution platform. Of course I will never buy another Activision game so I guess it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.