EA: Single-Player A Thing of the Past

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
this is by far the dumbest fuck thing i ever heard out of any one's mouth LOL thanks for teh laugh EA ...

Seriously MP is fun on certain games ...

let me see ..
1. i hate MMORPG''s, three RPG's i bought were Oblivion , Fallout3 and Silver fall ... hmmm funny none of those even ahve a MP component
2. I have played as much SP on resident evil 5 as i have MP (co-op or otherwise)
3. I have definitely played WAYYYY more SP on saints row 2 than i have Co-oped
4. as some one else mentioned , after along day of work .,. i don't feel like respawning countless times after some 15 year old zit faced tard fragged my ass over and over , i just want to play a game and enjoy myself.
5. the only reason i bought Unreal tournament 3 is becasue my school requires the editor for that game (and teh editor is more fun to me than the game it's self)

no i don't think single player games wil go teh way of the dodo , but i can see adn understand an increase inthe number of MP games, man after all is a social creautre , but i don't think single paleyr will disappear

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Can see why EA would prefer mp over sp as mp is harder to do with pirated versions. But imo many games lose their soul in multiplayer mode. Avp in multiplayer becomes just another dumbed down shooter, fear in multiplayer is not really fear and can anyone imagine a max payne, settlers or platformer/sidescroller (or 3d platformer like croc, super mario etc) game without single player?

Single player is where they can demonstrate skill with story telling and compelling plots. Sure EA has not been able to produce any games with good plots in a long time, but they have had some once (c&c 1, dungeon keeper etc.). I suppose for EA it makes sense not to put any emphasis on single player - they're not really quality oriented for it to be a success anyway, so why bother. But for titles from other studios single player is a must! Oblivion/Fallout 3 in multiplayer only? no way! Enclave/Tombraider without single player? no way! Neverwinter nights/Bloodbowl without single player? no way!
A game with soul doesn't work in multiplayer-only. Even quake 3 had a single player mode worth playing! Come to think of it, I can only remember cs/day of defeat/team fortress not having single player. And to be fair, those weren't really games, but addons to singleplayer games in the first place.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]luglogger[/nom]Sure !!!!! and EA will shut shop in the future if they stick to what they want from the future.[/citation]
I'm not sure about that.
I would imagine the next
Sims could be a client for a multiplayer world where people would visit other real people instead of other ai controlled simmers.
EA Sports titles could only have multiplayer league and an option for skirmish games saved on the server.
Need for Speed games requiring MS live login to work (like flatout ultimate carnage and burnout paradise)
All the strategy games having only multiplayer and perhaps skirmish, but no single player campaigns.

As I said earlier, ea games aren't sporting exceptionally evolved and thrilling plots, so losing the single player in their games isn't a big loss except for pirates. They'd lose the free advertisement that pirates provide, but I bet they're willing to trade that for reduced development costs.

G

Look at Quake, i started as single player and became MP only.
But i think it depends on the type of game. MP need more dedication compared to SP where you play at your own pace.

sqhacker

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Wrong, I dont know what EA is thinking but taking single player out of games is like getting rid of real life teams in their sports games, it kills the game and doesnt let you enjoy the engine as much as you can

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I prefer single-player over multi-player any day of the week. Why? Less cost, less time involvement, and no one to bother me. Remember Bill Gates saying what he did about personal computers? Look where they're at now. Games will be single-player forever and you'll have a few multi-player games here and there. Neither single-player nor multi-player will die out or shift dramatically in balance. However, it doesn't surprise me that a company that was about to go bankrupt a few years back would say something as ridiculous as this. Hire new management EA. Hire new management.

gaevs

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2009
I simply don't like competition.. at least in virtual life.. i had enough in real life, thanks.. i like SP games because they draws me to another worlds, and do stuff my way.
Co-Op games are great, like playing Gears of War with my son, on different PC's, or playing the old Aliens vs Predator with my friends..
Co-Op is a good adition to SP's but pure multiplayer is a bad idea..

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
So by that account, people don't want a story line anymore and independent game play (not via server). I guess I finally get to grow up and quit gaming around, as MP is all great for the right people but doesn't interest me in the least. (I actually think that MP is also a cheap escape from having to develop AI and a compelling story, which probably reduces development cost.)

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I don't do online mp. I don't have enough time to do it. I want the single player modes and the ability to mod them. EA wants to lose business.

G

EA think they know it all. If they asked people what they wanted instead of bringing out shit games and taking over good development companies then just bringing out sequla after sequal.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
A company that gets it. Maybe Insanity Ward...I mean Infinitey Ward can take a play from their playbook or hell any smart gaming companies playbook and actually see what gamers want.

mage182

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
They are only pushing this because EAs ability to control piracy for online games is much greater than SP. They can validate the software when you try to login and tell if its legit.

I play games for an hour here or an hour there. I don't have 6 hours at a time to sit down and game online. I say SP is here to stay.

wayneepalmer

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
One of the great shames would be that SP went away. I am very sorry I don't have the time to play EVE online as an SP.

I just don't have the time to get into an MP life and having an opportunity to take a break and blow stuff up is cathartic but I don't really want the stress of having to work myself into someone else's life to do it.

I used to love to play the big ships in Star Trek Klingon Academy in SP for that reason and with all the stuff folks were adding on to it (ships from Babylon 5, Star Wars, the ST Planet Killer, etc.) although the movement modeling could have been way improved, it was relaxing to blast away at stuff until Windows changes killed it.

I'd love an SP version of EVE but I think I'm just SOL.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
EA - Take foot... insert in mouth.

I've played my share of multiplayer online games, but there are things that they have not typically done well:

Deep story: MMO RPG's are TOTALLY different from SP RPG's. The MMO games are geared toward keeping you online grinding, quests are simple and redundant redundant redundant. You'll never see a game like "Witcher" or "Oblivion" in an MMO form. I personally would LOVE to see these games as Multiplayer Coop... but that will be challenging for programmers to manage - and may result in dumbing down to MMO levels to manage the MP complexity. For RPG's - SP is KING as far as quality is concerned, and I don't see that changing.

ARPG's (Diablo style) are a blast co-op MP - but it's often tough to get friends to play when you want to play. So an SP mode is important so that you can get game time even when nobody else wants to sign on.

Strategy games are fun MP - though SP is needed to train up so you don't get your ass handed to you every time you play. I don't really play them at all anymore... they're all variations on the same old theme - mine, build, fight. Gets pretty dull after the 4th or 5th game.

Multiplayer FP Shooters can be a lot of fun, but they have a different feel from their SP campaigns, and require TONS of time to be competitive. I don't have time to play online FPS games anymore, but I still play nearly every SP shooter that comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.