Solved! Earphones being detected as "Line In"

Dec 25, 2018
I'm trying to help a friend out with his laptop. His earphones that also have a mic is being detected as a line in recording device. The mic and sound do not work for the earphones when plugged in. Any idea on how to get the sound and mic working properly? The laptop is the Dell G3, it only has a single audio jack.

Solution
That single jack may not be a dual one. Which is what you need for a headset with a mic to work in. I would check it to make sure it isn't actually output only, which means sound out, not in.

If, however, it says it is both, it still is likely the problem. Some laptops, even though they say the port is dual, don't really always work well. Should that be the case here, then I would suggest getting a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect that way.
That single jack may not be a dual one. Which is what you need for a headset with a mic to work in. I would check it to make sure it isn't actually output only, which means sound out, not in.

If, however, it says it is both, it still is likely the problem. Some laptops, even though they say the port is dual, don't really always work well. Should that be the case here, then I would suggest getting a 3.5mm to USB adapter and connect that way.

Solution