EaseUS ToDo Cloning Help

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015
So I'm trying to clone my OS from my HDD to my SSD. Only problem is that with EaseUS ToDo, it seems that the source for the cloning is only a single drive or all my drives. My C and D drive are part of the same tree due to them being partitions of my HDD. I would just do my HDD but I also have to port over the boot commands and the windows recovery partitions. Any help on the subject would be appreciated since I haven't seen anything about it anywhere else.
Thanks in advanced

Solution
OK, to recap:

Currently, 1 physical drive, 2 partitions.
You wish the boot partitions and the C partition to be on the SSD, and exclude the D partition.
Correct?

At some point, you're going to have to open it up and swap the drives around.
And you need to have the HDD disconnected, if only to verify that it actually boots correctly from the SSD only.

"I mean I technically can disconnect it but then it'd be a pain."
That's what comes with laptops...:)

USAFRet

Illustrious

Macrium Reflect will allow deselecting that D partition, and excluding it from the clone operation.

These steps, and modify for your specific needs:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive Deselect that D partition
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.
-----------------------------

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

So I forgot to mention that I'm doing this on a laptop. I do have a samsung SSD so can I do that without the rebooting and disconnecting. I mean I technically can disconnect it but then it'd be a pain. Also the D drive is a partition of off the C anyways so I can't disconnect it physically.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Well, yes..that makes a big difference.

So how many drives will be in this system?
Both the SSD and HDD?

And yes, ideally you DO disconnect the HDD right after the cloning process, and allow the system to boot from the new SDD.

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

I have my C Drive(OS Drive), D Drive(Space), and SSD (Hopeful new OS drive)

USAFRet

Illustrious

The C and D are 2 partitions on the same physical drive?

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

ye

USAFRet

Illustrious
OK, to recap:

Currently, 1 physical drive, 2 partitions.
You wish the boot partitions and the C partition to be on the SSD, and exclude the D partition.
Correct?

At some point, you're going to have to open it up and swap the drives around.
And you need to have the HDD disconnected, if only to verify that it actually boots correctly from the SSD only.

"I mean I technically can disconnect it but then it'd be a pain."
That's what comes with laptops...:)

Solution

The Walrus King

Estimable
Oct 24, 2015

K thanks, what I'm gonna do is clone the OS to the SSD, then proceed to disconnect the HDD after the cloning. From there I can boot off the drive specifically hopefully without changing the SATA ports (correct me if I'm wrong there). That should be the end of it. I'd rather not switch the satas because due to my laptops shape, it was a pain to get the SSD in there and it will take a good 10 minutes just taking out. There is also the fact that I should be able to choose what I boot off of in the boot menu itself and if that doesn't work I'll do the whole SATA switch thing.