Easy Audio Setup for Parents' iTunes Collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BanaPanks

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016
Just wondering. My parents have a sizeable cd collection -- 2,000+ discs -- that have all been ripped into iTunes on a computer downstairs as ALAC files. I'd like for them to be able to easily access the music from their television in the living room upstairs (they aren't very tech savvy and never turn on the computer, but could handle something akin to Apple TV). The problem is that they don't have access to Wi-Fi as they live out in a rural Iowa community that just doesn't have a service provider, so I don't think streaming is a possible option. I'm wondering if there is some sort of affordable home theater solution or set top box with a sizeable hard drive to store the music locally that would be easy enough to use. The collection now takes up 600+ GB, but I don't suppose they would notice the difference if I had iTunes make MP3 files instead. Not sure what size that would shrink it down to. Don't really know much about this, so any help would be appreciated!

BanaPanks

Commendable
Mar 23, 2016

Thanks! Just trying to make things convenient for them to use. It looks like maybe a Roku 3 connected to an external hard drive is closest to what I'm wanting. Store all the music on the hard drive; the Roku provides the visual interface I'm after on the TV.

Look for something like this. There are models with built-in hard drives, which should hold your collection. YOU connect it to a TV and/or sound system, and it comes with its own remote for navigation.

I don't know (it does not lists) how well it supports FLAC audio, you might end up transcoding your library into something more "mainstream".

Status
Not open for further replies.