Easy solution to see if someone’s remotely viewing your computer via shared network? Please help, I’m so clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 25, 2018
Is there a quick/somewhat easy way to see if your MacBook has been hacked? One of my roommates is incredibly gifted at getting into anything and everything he sets his eye on; hacking computers being one of his favorite pastimes. That being said he’s had both physical access to my computer (yes, it’s password protected), but I think what’s being done is coming through the network and being done remotely. I asked him about what’s been going on with my computer and he says everything I’m experiencing is very normal, but I know it’s not, or maybe I’m crazy and this is all normal events, but I have to find out. I can go into further detail if there isn’t an easy answer, but I figured I’d start with asking that first. Mind you all, I know nothing of computers or the language used so please go easy on me. Thank you in advance- this is obviously very creepy and if it is him I very badly want to call him out on it. I’m sure you understand.

Solution
You may want to start by explaining what is happening with the computer that you think is odd.

If you think there is something installed on it but an antivirus scan does not help, copy your files to a backup drive and reset the system to factory defaults.
You may want to start by explaining what is happening with the computer that you think is odd.

If you think there is something installed on it but an antivirus scan does not help, copy your files to a backup drive and reset the system to factory defaults.

Solution
Use the following link to determine if your roommate set up remote access on your MacBook:

https://setapp.com/how-to/how-to-access-your-mac-remotely

Just undo the remote access settings.

Then change your login and password to something roommate will not know or be able to figure out.

Do not leave any little notes to yourself showing the login and password.

If you are worried about forgetting them then make a note and lock it up somewhere.

Apr 26, 2018
You could call his bluff if you think he is actually watching you through your webcam ...write a note with his name on it and say "pack your shit scumbag...I want you out!" and face it towards the webcam. You know if he starts apologizing and pleading that he must have seen your note. Option two..until you figure out whats going on you can put a piece of tape over the webcam. There are many programs that will allow you to view your network and access ports, but with little knowledge it may be a bit confusing. Just know if your computer is not actively on a wireless network or connected to the internet he has no way to gain access ...so disconnect when you are not using it. As someone else mentioned, google "how to disable remote connections on Mac" should be pretty easy....assuming that IS the way he is gaining access. Disconnect from your wifi and internet and change all your passwords...unless ...another thing he could have done is installed whats called a "keylogger" which is meant to record all the keystrokes you make when you are typing. It records this data and can either be physically retrieved via flash drive or he could have it reporting or sending this data to himself over the network through the web. Find another person that you trust that is good with computers to search your hard-drive for any suspicious programs. Please write back when you figure it out so we can find out what happened.

Apr 26, 2018
also...most webcams will have a little led light that turns on when it is being accessed. There is a piece of free software for Windows called "Fiddler" that will show all the connection attempts, ports, Hosts/IP addresses...it is called a web debugger...i use it to see which websites/URL/addresses certain software installed on my PC is trying to report to...look for the mac equivalent. It is very easy to use. Any and all traffic will be visible.

Apr 26, 2018

Kaspersky huh? the same software the Russians used to spy on NSA and US intelligence...i wouldn't think so. People give far too much credit to antivirus softwares. They are tools nothing more and are very limited

Status
Not open for further replies.